Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Kidney Stone Update

I had my 6 month check up with my urologist today. I can't help but feel that I failed. You may ask, how can you fail a check up with a doctor? I have no idea, but I feel I did.

Number 1 - According to a test I'm not producing enough urine. In other words I'm not intaking enough fluids to flush the kidneys. My doctor said the number 1 reason in the US for kidney stones = dehydration. And I'm the poster child for that model. Great. I've tried to up my fluid intake with always having water/lemonade with me at work and using straws. Unfortunately my type of work isn't the best situation to be drinking all the time. Not only the drinking, but visiting the can too. I'll try to work on it.

Number 2 - In the past my stones have never been seen on radiograph, only by cat scan (there were approximately 2 in the kidney last scan). This time? Yep, one of the stones is showing on the radiograph. It's either that or I have arthritis on my ribs. I wouldn't put it past my body about having another problem, but chances are I don't have arthritis in my ribs...yet. This isn't necessarily a bad thing that it's now seen on radiograph....but in my mind I think it is. My thinking....if it's visible on radiograph, it's larger than last time.

Number 3 - I'm currently on potassium citrate to inhibit the formation of stones. My citrates used to be really low, so we started supplementing. After 6 months of supplementing my citrates have risen. However, not enough. So now I'll be on 2 tablets 3 times a day. Not real fun. It's not a big deal, just a hassle to remember sometimes. In addition, more pills means more money.

So that's my visit in a nutshell. Time to kick it into gear with more hydration and more potassium citrate, then I get to do it all over again in 6 months.

No comments: