Sunday, June 29, 2008

Deep In The Heart Of Texas

I finally have a moment to sit down and write. More than likely this will have to be a post done in segments because it'll be too much to write at one time. Texas was awesome. I'm so glad I got to experience and even better that I got to experience it with someone. That person being mom. I couldn't imagine having gone alone, as I wouldn't have had any of the experiences we had because more than likely I would've been holed up in a hotel room.

Tuesday started out well. No problems with our ride to the airport, check-in, flight, or arrival. Upon getting to the rental car center we found that there were no cars available. Even the "Emerald" club members were waiting. As a car would arrive they'd ask who wanted it. You could pass or take it. Of course most cars that were available were SUVs, which no one wanted. Our turn came and we had the option of a Toyota Highlander, Chevy Equinox, or a Chevy HHR. We went with the HHR given that it's American and more than likely the best on gas. It was a huge upgrade from our economy reservation. Spacious, sun-roof, and a leather interior. Nice. I did learn that after our car fiasco in Hawaii and this I more than likely will not be going with Alamo again. It's great to get upgrades but I question their management/organization.
We jetted to downtown Dallas and started out at the Sixth Floor Museum. It's a museum located in the old Texas Book Depository where it's believed JFK was assassinated. Mom was an admirer or JFK when she was younger, which she then passed on to me when I had to make a school project back in 2nd grade. His history and story intrigue me, so we thoroughly enjoyed the museum. Following the museum we checked out the Dealey Plaza, Old Red Museum, and the JFK Memorial a few blocks away. We stopped by the Pioneer Plaza to get a few more pictures and then walked throughout the downtown area. I must say that we were totally surprised how quiet the city was. The only thing we can think is that it's so hot during the day that people stay inside. Don't get me wrong, there were cars, but nothing like other big cities. Another thing is that no matter where we were it was clean. I can only imagine what they think of us when they come up here to all of our litter.
We finished the day by going to a mall called Northpark Center. We ate at PF Changs (a fav!) and did some shopping. This trip was full o' shopping. I'm not a shopper but I could've proven anyone wrong this past week. It helps when you get some good deals. A funny thing did happen. I've been wanting a specific shirt that says, "Jesus, please holla back." I saw it a month ago in Cleveland at a store called Metropark. I didn't purchase it and have been kicking myself since. Well, we came across a Metropark store and lo and behold they had the shirt. I had to try it on so I went up to a person and asked them if I could try it on. Of course it ended up being an asian person who I couldn't understand. And when I did he said, "You want me to try it on?" and tried taking it from me. I pulled it away and thought he was just joshing me. I already feel totally uncomfortable in stores like Metropark because I stick out like a sore thumb and at this point I just wanted to turn inside out. Then my mom realized and said, "Do you work here?" He said, "No." and we just said, "Oh, never mind" and walked away. Yeah, big idiot here! Guess you had to be there but we had some good laughs about this the entire trip. Actually we had many of those moments. Some that I remember, so I don't. If I sat a wrote them all we'd be here for a long time. It was late so we went to the hotel and found it to be quite nice for a Holiday Inn Express. Great warm continental breakfast with cinnamon rolls, cereal, eggs....the works! Our room had a microwave and fridge. It had a super nice shower and comfortable bedding. We were quite surprised.

Even though it was a nice hotel we didn't find ourselves sleeping in much. Everyday I woke up and ran 3 miles on the fitness room treadmill. It may be vacation but I can't slack on that. Especially with all the food I was eating! Most of the day was spent in Fort Worth checking out the Stockyards. It's a pretty cool area where you think you've stepped back in time. It's an actual location where livestock exchange occured. They have all of the steakhouses and even had a herd move through the street twice daily. I truly felt like I was in Texas after visiting there.
Lunch was at La Familia a local Tex Mex restaurant. Whew, was it good. Everything was so fresh and their drinks were strong. I wasn't even a quarter way done with my drink and I was feeling it. Needless to say mom was on her own for a bit after lunch. I wasn't much help as a navigator. If you're ever in the area check it out. Great food, service, and ambience. We did a bit more shopping the rest of the afternoon and had a late dinner at the Cheesecake Factory (can you tell why I definitely made myself get up each morning to run?). On our way back to the hotel we got stuck in a downpour. In the south when a downpour occurs they slow down a bit, put their hazards on, and keep a movin'. We did the same and made it safely to the hotel.

We didn't do much Thursday morning as I had school at noon. It was my lab animal day which included rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, and rats. School ended up being surprisingly easier than I thought. At the same time it was informative. Everyone was quiet upon arriving but that didn't last long. We all soon started to talk and carry on conversations about our experiences. There wasn't a dull moment.
We finished sooner than expected which meant we could head out to dinner earlier. Dinner was at Maggianos and we shopped a bit more at Northpark Center. We were in search of another Dick's Sporting Goods, and were unsuccessful. Yeah, this is one of those times that has a funny story, but too long to go into here. Let's just say, I'm a good navigator and mom's a good driver, but I wouldn't recommend us going on Amazing Race. We never once yelled at each other and always kept calm but I'd love to have a video of us. Instead of finding a Dick's we unexpectedly found an area of house, no mansions, that were one after the next. Just amazing, gorgeous, mansions. My mouth was hanging open and I just kept saying, "Look at that. Holy shit. Look at that." We never found that Dick's but that's okay. It was still a fun adventure.

Friday morning started with another run and then right to school. It was my large animal day which was spent with horses and goats. We all did quite well, and as with the previous day, it was easier than expected. We were so kick butt that we got done with the animal portion in the morning and the lab portion in the afternoon that we didn't even had to come back the next day. Nice, but having a later flight the next day wasn't so nice. Wish I would've known that'd be the case because we would've left earlier. The evening was spent at a VERY nice mall. We finally found another Dick's where I got a pair of my running shoes for $30! Sweet. It's last years style but that's okay by me. The deals continued with me finding capri jeans for $15. Double Sweet. I was happy.

Since I didn't have school Saturday we checked out of the hotel and made a trek to an area north of Dallas and stopped at an outlet mall. We got some deals and then started back to the airport. That's when we hit a roadblock....but that will have to wait until tomorrow. It's getting late and I got to get to bed. Stay tuned.....

2 comments:

Jan said...

I'm just a smilin'. Ah, the memories we created. Need I say "Metropark"? How about falling plane? Oh yeah, we got the memories!!!!!!!!

Jen said...

Glad to see you both made it back safely! We need to get together soon!