Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hello, anybody out there?

Yes, we're still alive here. It's been pretty busy 'round here lately, and it doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon. In a nutshell, I'm in my last semester of school trying to accomplish certain tasks (closing 20+ surgeries...yes, actually suturing skin, placing 10 jugular catheters, taking 15 oral x-rays, just like you get at the dentist, plus my normal school stuff on top of that). I'm also gearing up for my trip down to Texas to wrangle pigs, cows, and horses. In addition, I get to deal with "lab" animals like mice and rats. Yeah, looking forward to that. (sense the sarcasm?) I have yet to reserve a rental car, something that is on my list of things to do today.

David's hauling butt at work since the other mechanic is out of town for the next 2 weeks. Not that the other guy does much anyway, but having only 1 mechanic during a summertime schedule blows. He had 20+ service calls plus 12 downed machines yesterday. That'll raise your blood pressure.

Another big change is that within the past couple weeks I've been playing with the idea of becoming a Lacto-ovo vegetarian. At this moment I do not have the time to go into they whys and hows but I've done a significant amount of research and done very well with the transition. I feel that this is the right decision for me and will go into more detail at a later date when I have a few more minutes.

A few weeks ago David and I were determined to start some big home improvements such as insulating and siding. However, that has changed within the past week. It's still on our "things to do" list but something else has come about. For the past several months we've had interest in buying a certain business, but we didn't know if it was for sale. Well, we made a few phone calls to find that it is indeed for sale and at a very affordable price. Once again, this isn't something I necessarily want to go into just yet as we're making baby steps at this time and nothing is for sure. We've had positive and negative feedback from those around us in regards to the idea. We know that owning your own business can be a life changing experience, both in a good and bad way. At the same time we feel that this may be what we need for ourselves and that hardwork now may produce our payoff later. And I'd hate to look back 20 years from now and say, "What if?" So at this moment we've made a verbal agreement on a price and will now attempt to see if we can qualify for financing. It's all very exciting and nerve-racking at the same time. We'll keep you posted.

With all that's going on it's been tough to fit in running. I haven't run since last Wednesday I believe. I don't expect things to settle down, but I hope that things fall into place to make it a little more easier to organize our schedules. In addition, we totally forgot to celebrate Viking's birthday. We're such bad parents. We'll have to have a blowout this weekend.

1 comment:

Camie said...

Hey I just wanted to share. My best friend Bry has been veg for many years and vegan for a few until her recent pregnancy made her revert back to lacto-ovo for the time being. She has a blog titled Don't Get Mad Get Vegan that she regularly posts great looking recipes. Thought you might like to take a look for inspiration. Way to go! One day I may join you. http://dgmgv.blogspot.com

Your blog inspires me. How you run, you learn, you love. Now you are thinking about a business. You are a go getter. Give my love to David and the kids. Camie