Tuesday, September 23, 2008

North Coast Greyhound Connection

After adopting Spencer we became members of North Coast Greyhound Connection. This has allowed us to meet with other greyhound owners and also participate as advocates for greyhounds. We go to member events and also attend "meet and greets" where prospective adopters can see adoptable dogs. It also allows us to get Spence out of the house, which he loves. Of course the other kids get their time too, but being members of the group has been great in the short time we've joined.

Ever since we joined Traci (friend/member) told me I had to go on a "greyhound haul." I trusted her judgement and put it on my "things to do list." When the first haul came around I jumped on it. So my first experience with a greyhound haul was this past weekend. Basically a greyhound haul is where the dogs are transported from the track to various adoption groups across the United States. Our group works with 2 specific tracks and actual chooses the dogs they receive in hopes of adopting them. We rotate between the tracks. As our "caseload" gets smaller we are added to a haul and the dogs are delivered via bus or hauler. For instance, this weekend the dogs came from Kansas. The first stop was in Toledo, we were the second stop, and they continued all the way to New Jersey. Most often the dogs are delivered in the morning (2am), but that changes. You never know exactly when they'll arrive until you receive the call. Like this weekend, the plan was to arrive at 8:30pm but they did come until 11:30pm.

It was quite exciting. I arrived with Traci super early. The 2 hours passed more quickly than expected. Other individuals arrived and we all just chilled and had conversation. I could feel the anticipation of everyone. When would they arrive? What are they coming in? What kind of shape will they be in? What are their personalities going to be? And mostly for me, what was this going to be all about?

The assigned collars/leashes marked for the new adoptees were given to members and the wait continued. The hauler arrived without much notice but as they drove into the parking lot my excitement grew. I started videotaping and snapping as many pictures as I could. I will be making an adoption video(s) for the group and I thought this was the perfect moment to start my project. Each dog was collared and leashed, walked off the hauler, walked to grass so they could relieve themselves, and then welcomed with open arms and probably the most love they've ever received in their lives. Immediately upon stepping off the hauler you could see the personalities of each of the dogs.

We then loaded them in the Hound Hauler and headed over to a member's home to give all the pups the TLC they deserved. Free water, nail trims, baths, microchips, washed collars and muzzles, and flea preventative. They must have felt like new dogs. In the beginning I was so focused on taking pictures that I had to remind myself to step back and see what was happening. Not only was this being done but it was all done with hugs, kisses, kind words, and gentle hands...just unbelievable. I've found another nitch in my life where I know I belong! These people haven't spent but a moment with each of these dogs but that didn't matter. Each one received equal amounts of love and attention. I could see that these people genuinely cared about what they're doing and especially greyhounds. It's not just another dog. And even at 2am, there were no complaints of being tired and just wanting to get it over with. When we got done everyone went on their merry way.

I didn't get home until 3:30am and my mind was reeling about what I had just witnessed. In my eyes it was awesome. I looked at Spencer, gave him a big hug and kiss. When I said my prayers I made sure to thank God for the volunteers of North Coast Greyhound Connection. Because of their love and determination we now have Spencer as a part of our family. And even more, we now have an extended family in NCGC. We've not only witnessed their generosity toward animals but also toward each other. It's amazing. I'm thankful for that and proud to say that we're members of an awesome group.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to have met you, Heidi. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and your wonderful family.