Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Business in the front...

Having a shorter hairstyle means it's cute =), but it also means more haircuts =( Through the help of Erika I was able to find an awesome stylist. Anna is amazing. She can do anything with a pair of scissors. Add on top of that her awesome ability to color and you have it made. Unfortunately Anna works at Dino Palmieri, which is located in Beachwood. Everytime I want my hair done I have to travel 1-1.5 hours to have it done. Traveling to Beachwood hasn't been that big of a deal, as David and I will make a day out of it. At the same time though, traveling that far every 4-6 weeks can strain you a bit. On top of that, it's not the cheapest haircut in the world. Don't get me wrong, I'm the type to pay for what I want, but at the same time I must be realistic.

Now most people will say, "Why don't you get your hair done in Sandusky?" It's not as easy as that. I've attempted other options but no one seems to hit the nail on the head. In addition I'm not seeing any hairstyles from local stylists that I go "wow! that's cute." I'm not saying that every hairstylist in Sandusky sucks, that's far from the truth, but I just haven't found the "one." With that being said, I'm always open to new options. I recently ran into a family member and she referred me to a newer place called Crazy Mullets. She said they're all "punk-type of people" that work there, and it's cheap. I figured why not give it a try.

Crazy Mullets is located in Lakewood. Yeah, I know it's still a trip, but it's shorter and the cost of the cut is about half the price than Dino Palmieri. After putting it off and finally getting sick of my overgrown 'do I gave them a call. After a few rings it went to voicemail. Man! After finally getting the courage to call I didn't even get to talk to anyone. Bummer. But, within 1 minute my phone rang back. There was a super nice girl saying she was calling from Crazy Mullets. She said she tried to answer the phone but it wasn't allowing her to do so. She answered my questions I had and made me feel real at ease with choosing them. They have a walk-in policy but appointments are accepted. I made an appointment and patiently waited for Saturday to arrive.

On Saturday we made the trek to Lakewood and were pleasantly surprised with the area. We haven't spent much time there in the past, so everything was new. It looks quite interesting and a new area we definitely need to check out. We walked in a found this...

Bright colors everywhere with cool music playing. Free drinks in the refrigerator. Their stations were Craftsman tool chests and their chairs were classic-looking red and white. The 2 stylists, who were male, and totally not who you'd think would be stylists, immediately greeted us and once again made of feel at ease. This means a lot to me given that sometimes I walk into Dino Palmieri and get totally ignored. Half the time I don't feel like I belong there and have this odd feeling the girls working feel the same way too. Anyway, we were told it'd be a few minutes and feel free to have a drink. After a small time one of the stylists came up and told me he was going to be doing my hair. And although he was nice, I had to take a few deep breaths because looking at him I didn't know what I was getting into. He had an Iron Maiden shirt on, his hair was crazy in the sense of style and color. And he had piercings everywhere you could think. He's definitely crazy....After I heard how he went to the circus the night before on mushrooms I couldn't help but think, "Why am I trusting this guy cutting my hair?" But I figured, why not? I've had many of bad haircuts. And trust me, hair always grows back. He ended up being totally cool. He kept conversation flowing and didn't make me feel out of my element (even though it was probably quite obvious). I told him I was up to him doing anything, as long as I can wear it to work. He ended up keeping my current cut, but my style was WAY different. He asked me how I wanted it styled....I once again told him that I was open to anything, which he said he loves to hear, and he went on doing his thing. I ended up having a pompadour type style. Of course I still am wearing the same 'ol style I've been, and the the pompadour was something I would have never done on my own, but I had a ton of fun having him style it that way. I ended up spending only $25 (including tip) and was definitely happy with the cut and experience. Not to mention he gave me a coupon for next time....I have 2 more if anyone else is interested.

Even though I had a good experience I'm not going to stop going to Anna. I absolutely love what she does with my hair, and will go to her here and there. This just gives my pocketbook and car a well-needed rest for the time being.

2 comments:

Randy Hammons said...

Sounds like an awesome place all around. I love the bits of Lakewood I've been to. My best recommendation is WallFlower this cool retro/mod antique store... you can spend days in there, its a blast.

Anonymous said...

Nothing but a party in the back! I feel your pain looking for "THE" stylist. Having wicked curly, it's been hard to find anyone who can work with it, other than taking 2 hours to straighten it. This place sounds great, although I don't know how I'd do there. But I have a friend who's hair is just like yours, but platinum blond - maybe she'll like it. I'll pass it on.