Tuesday, January 20, 2009

D.R.E.A.M. List

Until 2007, when the movie Bucket List was released, I had never heard of the term "bucket list." Of course now, it makes sense after someone explained it to me. I have yet to see the movie, and can only guess that it's 2 men going through their own buckets lists.

David and I were married when I was 18 years old, and we have been married for almost 7 years. I wouldn't change that for the world. I'm nowhere near a mid-life crisis. I'm far from that. I absolutely love my life and who is in it. At the same time, we have hit that point where we know we do not plan on having children and that more than likely we'll be in our present careers for the long-term. Of course you never know about your career/job situation, but my having been in the same field since the beginning of our marriage, I don't see that changing anytime soon. I know life will always be filled with changes, some unexpected and some planned, but at this point we're looking at our future wondering what is to come having already met many of our goals that we set out to do.

In addition to that thinking, I am no longer a student. Of course I've been studying for boards, but at the same time I'm going through the transition of no longer being a student and going to school. As stated, I've been keeping busy studying or reading, but it still leaves my daily life less full. It's not like I'm sitting, rotting away. Trust me, I still keep busy, but still, I'm worried of getting into a rut.

All of these thoughts combine have got me thinking of my own personal Bucket List. Upon venturing into this idea I couldn't help but think that it's kind of morbid. So instead of a Bucket List, I have made my D.R.E.A.M. List. It stands for Dedicated to Reaching Every Achievable Moment. (I've been working on the name for a week or so now and am not 100% sold on the "moment" aspect of it. But, I couldn't wait any longer to write this post. If anyone has input I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.)

Some of the items are pipe dreams. I may never achieve them, but there's no problem wishing, hoping, and planning. You never know. Some of the items are things I've done before, but would like to re implement them in my life or try them again. Some are childhood dreams. Some things I've already completed, which means I can automatically check them off my list. I see my list as ever changing. I can add to it at any point and at the same time I can work on one or many whenever I'd like.

So, here's what I've come up with in no particular order:

Relearn How To Play Cello~
Back in 5th grade I chose the cello as my string instrument of choice. I absolutely loved playing. Unfortunately when I reached high school, due to my already full schedule, I had to decide on trumpet/band or cello/orchestra. Having already had a trumpet in my possession that's what I chose. If I would have stayed with the orchestra I would have been heavily influenced to buy a cello and take private lessons. Looking back I wish I would have done the opposite and chose cello over trumpet. I miss playing the cello. I'll never be a Yo-Yo Ma, but I'd love to have the opportunity to play again.

Learn To Play The Piano~
This is kind of on the same lines as the cello. Back in the day, after Ande' started taking piano lessons, I followed. Unfortunately I wasn't focused enough and didn't have the desire to learn. Now I do, and would love to be able to play something other than the "Indian Dance" song that I still have memorized from the beginner book.

Relearn French~
In high school I had the most awesome French teacher. A lot of people didn't care for her because she told it how it was and could sometimes be a pushy teacher. I knew that all she wanted was what was best for us. And for some reason I had a connection with her that I appreciate to this day. I would get tongue tied and had a horrible French accent, but it presented itself as a challenge. I would still consider myself a beginner, even after having a few years under my belt, but I remember I had gotten to the point of subconsciously translating English into French as someone talked to me. Unfortunately I never continued on in French and I'd probably have to start from square one. Not to mention, I'd have absolutely no use for French, but it's a desire I have.

Being Able To Run~Accomplished!
I always had the dream of being able to run 1 lap on a track. I never though I could do it, but I now can say I can. It may not be pretty, but I can. And, I can run more than 1 lap around a track.

Finish A Marathon~
Alright, now that I can run I'd like to complete a marathon. I won't even require myself to run the entire distance if unable. I just want to complete a marathon.

Billy Joel~Almost Accomplished
Billy Joel's music means ALOT to David and me. It's been a mainstay from day one back in my freshman year of high school. Many of "our" songs are Billy Joel's. My dream has always been to attend a concert of his. I can no longer say, "I've never been to a concert in my life." I have been. However, not to downplay the experience, it was Shania Twain, and it was a last minute plan since we received the tickets for free due to David being in the military and it was far from being sold out. Once again, a great show, but not one of my top choices for concerts. A couple years back Billy Joel and Elton John were touring together. I wanted to go so bad, but we didn't have the extra cash to supplement an unneeded concert. I always told myself that if they toured again, we'd go. Surprise, surprise, but Dad told me this past Sunday that they were touring and there was a stop in Cleveland this May. Holy shit! I dropped everything and made a beeline for the computer to find tickets, only to find that they were sold out. David scoured the Internet the next day and found tickets. As expected they are higher than face value and in the upper level, but we will be there to witness Billy Joel and Elton John. And, I can mark it off of my list. I'm so freakin' excited...you have no idea.

Celine Dion~
Basically the same as Billy Joel, however at this point no tickets have been acquired. She's on tour this year but her stop in Cleveland was during our recent vacation, so we missed her.

Go To College-Earn A Degree~Accomplished!
Mom and Dad always said, "Do what you want, but get a degree." I've held up my part of the deal and am glad I can say that not only did I finish but having to pay everything up front, we're not in a heap of debt. Personally I think college/degrees are oftentimes overrated, and I don't know if I'll use the degree my entire life, but I've earned it and it's mine.

Drive/Ride In A Race car~
Most people may not know, but my dad was the pace car driving at the Sandusky Speedway for several years. I always had dreams of riding with him, but was too young to do so. Even so, we spent many o' Saturday nights at the races. To this day I love taking in a live race and find the smell of Supermodifieds absolutely irresistible. Crazy, I know. Since my childhood I've wanted to either ride in or drive a race car, just to have that rush of adrenaline. I'd probably scream the entire way but the moment would be priceless.

Ski Again~
I've already skied. I've also broken my leg skiing. Yep, biggest bone in the body...the femur. I have since gotten back on my skis, just to face that fear. However, it's been years and I want to do it again. I don't see myself becoming an avid skier, but it's something I want and need to face again.

Take A Photography Course~
I've had this draw to photography as long as I can remember. I remember my first Mickey Mouse camera. I took picture after picture. Needless to say mom wasn't too happy at all of my not so great pictures of absolutely nothing. As time has continued I'd like to think my picture taking has become better. I know photography takes a special eye. Something I may or may not have, but having the knowledge of how to work a camera and using it to it's fullest would definitely help.

Many Travels~
There are so many places I want to travel. I think a European tour would be awesome. I could go on and on about places I'd like to visit, why, and how, but I'll just settle for my present list. Once again, in no particular order.....Italy, Britain, Africa, Scotland, Australia, and Ireland. I want to go out west too....including Arizona, California, Montana, etc. Taking an RV trip across the US would be great. I could definitely see David and I, old, and trekking across the US with the furry kids in tow.

That's my present list...I know there will be more to come.

So what's on your D.R.E.A.M. List?

No comments: