Thursday, December 11, 2008

6 Months Of Vegetarian Life

As of yesterday I've been vegetarian for 6 months. With the exception of a few slip ups (french onion soup is not vegetarian) I think the transition has gone quite easy and I'm very happy with my choice. True, there are a few things I miss, but those are usually things I shouldn't eat anyway.....rice krispy treats and Knox Blox (jell-o square things)....and when the Easter season comes Peeps will be out. Thankfully I've found some alternatives such as Ricemallow, pre-made "Marshmallow Treats", and gelatin substitutes. Unfortunately I haven't found them in stores, locally or in Cleveland, and they must be ordered, which I have yet to do.

I have only had 1 true craving for a burger and it didn't last long. Those Morningstar Farm Burgers rock. (especially the spicy black bean). Mom even made a special batch of her chili just for me, and I couldn't tell much difference. If anything, there was less grease on the top, which definitely is a good thing. As always, it was super yummy and I still have some frozen in the freezer for later in the winter season (thanks mom!)

I think the biggest "drawback," if you can even attribute it to my diet, is that I am not as thin as I was this time last year. Once again, I can't say that it's because of the vegetarian thing. More than likely it's due to several causes....not being as religious with my running, not watching EVERYTHING I eat, not keeping a constant eye on my weight, and eating more carbohydrates. Last year I was obssessive about every little thing I put in my mouth and what I had to do to burn it off. Almost to the point of being unhealthy (in my brain). No big surprise, but it's one of those things I have to find a happy medium with. I have yet to achieve that, but am working on it.

So I think it's safe to say that this vegetarian thing is going to stick around. As with anything it's been an adjustment, but in the end I still think it's for the better.

1 comment: