Friday, April 25, 2008

To Change Or Not To Change

I'm sure most everyone has heard about the recent controvery in regards to the BPA in plastic bottles. Most notably, the Nalgene bottles. They aren't all necessarily Nalgene bottles. There are so many brands out there now that I couldn't even come close to naming them. Take for instance me, I use a Swiss big plastic bottle. I'm not a proponent of bottled water due to environment issues, not to mention half the time it comes from the tap anyway, so I just fill up my bottle with normal tap water and away I go. I'm normally only a water drinker but I must say I don't come close to taking in the recommended amount of water per day. However, I've used my bottle daily over the past several years, in hopes of increasing my water intake. It's awful hard not to have a big lime green bottle catch your eye. When it catches my eye it reminds me to take a drink. I think it has helped.

So with this recent controversy I'm left with a "what do I do?" scenario. Should I keep using my bottle or just go out and buy a new type? I don't think you can deny that chemicals in general have changed our lives. Look at all the diseases out there that weren't present before. However, I can't go through my life worrying, "Will this kill me...." about every little thing. I also question so many theories out there that say this causes that. To a certain extent things are starting to become the boy who cried wolf. People are going to become immune to all of the warnings. With all that being said, I still think to myself that it's not a good idea to just push the information to the wayside. I think I've come to the conclusion that my bottle will be retired and I'll start looking for other options. Maybe a stainless steel bottle. Only, I'm sure they'll find that even those will cause some sort of disease in a couple years. Long after the damage has been done.

No comments: