Thursday, March 06, 2008

Unexpected Time Off

Boy, this weather is throwing us for a loop, especially at work. Not only has it been hard to get into work but when we are open it's been dead this week. As always, feast or famine. Obviously this week it's famine. We were dead on Monday so I volunteered to leave a couple hours early, having had such a rough weekend. When Tuesday came along the freezing rain/sleet, along with no one coming in, made us close an hour early. Then on Wednesday the ice/snow made it impossible for half of the staff to come in. It also meant having only 3 appointments during practice hours. As for today, we had a dead morning with a steady evening. I'm not scheduled to work until 12 noon tomorrow but at this point it's not worth me going in with only having two non-doctor appointments scheduled. And considering the weather is supposed to get pretty severe tomorrow more than likely those will be canceled anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'd go in just to go in, but the owner's don't really want to pay all of us just to sit there. If we can find something to do then they have no problem with it. But considering the circumstances throughout the entire week, I've cleaned almost everything possible in the clinic. I did my usual weekly cleaning tasks along with scrubbing the autoclave, taking apart the x-ray machine and cleaning it, scrubbing walls, scrubbing floors...the list goes on and on. I can only BS the cleaning for so long. And unfortunately I wouldn't be able to BS my way through 6 hours tomorrow. Bummer. So basically it comes down to us girls trying to space our hours out evenly throughout this week so no one is totally screwed. Thankfully I still have a decent amount of sick time to use if need be. More than likely I'll save it for the future or just use a couple hours for this paycheck, nothing that will wipe me out. Looking ahead at next week the schedule looks much more full. Why can't we just have a happy medium? I'm either bored out of my mind or running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

No comments: