Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mmmm, Donut

I got a run in today. Once again short, but I'm moving my way along. Trying to work my way back up to where I was. I'll get there. I'm still having on and off pain in my knee but feel like I have it under control. It's more often not present, which is definitely an improvement. It's been great to be able to get in more runs lately, even if they are shorter. The fresh air helps to clear your mind and cleanse your soul. Sorry, getting a little earthy on you. But truly, it does feel good. In addition, I don't feel as guilty wanting a little something extra to eat here and there. Although I'm not burning a ton of calories with these short runs, I'm still burning something. I'm looking forward to even warmer weather and healthy knee to run even more often and longer distances. That will come. For now I have my sites set on a goal. That goal is to complete the half marathon. With goals come rewards. My planned reward for myself? A donut. Heck, maybe even donuts. For some reason I've been craving a donut. The puffy kind with chocolate icing and creme filled. I prefer the long ones but a round one will do. Ooh, I can taste it now. It's been awhile since I had a donut. It's just something that we don't do often for obvious reasons. Back in the newlywed, New Orleans days, we'd go down to the Quarter and pass the Krispy Kreme shop with the "Hot Donuts" sign lit. We'd purchase a dozen, eat about 2 each, and then save the rest for the next day or two. Yeah, that's how we got to be our bigger selves. Long gone are those days. No more. I'm not going to lie, I indulge in things. For instance, the awesome piece of Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory this past weekend....but when I put something in my mouth I simultaneously think of what I'm going to have to do to burn it off. The winter months have been harder as expected. You're inside, sitting around, wanting to put every little thing in your mouth, unable to get out and burn it off. Once again, I'm looking forward to the warmer weather to get rid of the "excess." So back to my reward. The donut. There aren't any Krispy Kremes and Dunkin Donuts around here. (In all honesty I'm not that big of a fan of Krispy Kreme anymore. I can't believe I just typed that. I think it's a burnout type of thing.) So the donut will preferably come for the House Of Donuts, one of the local joints here in town. And when the time comes, I'll be ready.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to here that you're back in the groove, Heidi. Hopefully the weather will soon change and it will be fun to run.
Thought of you today when I made Beignets. We (and by we I mean Uncle Denny ) cleaned out the pantry and saw a box of Cafe DuMonde's Beignet Mix. Of course I had to immediately make some. (His reward for cleaning.) Not quite like being in NOLA, but yummy anyhow.
FYI there is a Dunkin' Donuts way out on rte. 250 by the outlet mall
if you get a serious hankering for one. I didn't know it 'til we stopped there on the way from the airport at 3 in the a.m.during that Sat. snowstorm. You made a smart choice not going to see Wicked that day. We were very lucky to make it home without incident. Even the turnpike was treacherous. Remind me...why do we live in Ohio?
Happy Easter Heidi and David.
Aunt Daleen

BananaBuzzbomb said...

I always forget about the Dunkin' Donuts out there on 250. Thanks for the reminder! Now I have even more options to choose from....

Jamie said...

Now that's the kind of motivation I'm talkin' about!!!! Love running, and love donuts... funny they don't like eachother.