Friday, July 18, 2008

I'll Never Be Perfect

During my time at my present workplace I've often been overlooked for restraining larger dogs due to my size. Doc will ask for the taller individual even though we're about the same size otherwise. At first I was offended but now I just pass it along as no big deal. It happened once again today, however they also requested my help. After successfully restraining the exuberant dog I heard the owner say, "Hey pup, she's putting all of her weight on your back end and she weighs less than you." Of course he was speaking about me. Once again I let it roll off of my back as no big deal, but I couldn't help but analyze the situation. At no time in my life have I ever felt that I was small. As a kid I was quite chunky. I've lost the baby fat but I'm just an average height. I do think of my weight and what I put in my mouth on a daily basis. That's beside the point though. I thought to myself, too often others judge each other. Instead of being just right, we're "too fat" or "too tiny." This then wears off on us as individuals and we feel crappy about ourselves. I quickly determined that our bodies will never be "perfect" whether in our own eyes or the eyes of society. But you know what? I'm okay with that.

4 comments:

Monica said...

Amen to that!! :)

saroth said...

Yep! been there done that. Too many times I have been told not to carry things because I am too small. I have always thought, I am small but mighty. But now the age factor is catching up and I have to say help me!! Heidi you have so many talents . I am amazed by all the things you do (your job, dogs, running and family) to make things happen. I applaud you for your dedication to pets and how you want to make things better for them. So just ignore (who cares) and focus on what you want. Know that you are sweet, loving, caring, dedicated (these are just a few of the many) and you could not be possibly make your family (all the Roth's) prouder.

Sita said...

HOLLA-
I get it all the time. Whatever.

Jan said...

I think you are "perfect".