Sunday, July 13, 2008

Six Years

I truly can't believe that David and I have been married for 6 years. Sometimes it feels like just yesterday, other times it feels like eternity. Not eternity in a bad way by any means. Just as anyone, we're constantly changing and evolving both as individuals and as a unit. As we've changed, we've grown, and as we've grown, we've grown stronger. I wouldn't give up what we have for the world. As a child you dream of meeting "the right person." At times you think it may never happen. I can't say whether we're soulmates, as I don't know if I believe in them or not. However, if soulmates do exist I believe I have found mine. And thankfully we were so lucky to find eachother at such a young age that we can live our lives together to the fullest and grow old together. As individuals we don't necessarily fit into the "norm." As a couple that's true too. A couple weeks ago we were discussing our relationship and how oftentimes it's different than others. For instance.....

9 times out of 10 I do the driving. This has been true since we dated. I had the Tempo with a CD player so that meant I drove so we could listen to better music. It has since stuck, so you'll find be driving most of the time.

I'm a gadget person and David's more of a shopper than me. It was quite funny a few weeks ago when I got my new cellphone. David wanted to head out to the mall to shop, so off we went. As he was browsing, there I was messing around with my cell phone. I'm also the one that tends to be on the computer while he will watch tv.

I'm the one that tends to take care and pride in the yard. Don't get me wrong, he mows it pretty regularly, but I'm the one the will spend hours outside edging, weeding, and fertilizing.

He's more of the decorator type. I like this to be organized and fit together, but he tends to focus more on how things look and his creativity.

He's the one that tends to do the laundry, including folding. Once again, I'll do it, but it's something that he tends to complete without me even knowing it.

He cooks, whenever we cook. Cooking isn't something I find enjoyable, and frankly he doesn't either, but when it happens, he does it. He's quite creative too.

I handle and pay the bills. Of course this is a task that differs from family to family, so we're not all that odd.

As I sit here I'm sure more will come to mind. We've never claimed we're normal, but it's what works for us. And although we're the same, we're opposite in a lot of ways. Even so, we fit each other to a tee.


David's card to me sums it up quite well.....

You're the fizz to my soda,
the hip to my hooray,
the alphabet in my soup,
the echo to my yodels,
the grand to my piano,
the sleepy to my sunday,
the stars in my sky,
the love of my life.

Here's to the last 9 years of our lives and to the 100 more ahead. Happy 6th Anniversary.

3 comments:

Jacki said...

Happy anniversary to the both of you! You guys are so great together. :)

Jen said...

Happy Anniversary! Too the many wonderful years to come!!

Sita said...

What a lovely writing from you Heidi, in honor of your 6th. You are truly the wife that I prayed for, for my son while he was in the womb. That is the truth. I prayed for his spouse and her family from the beginning of his life. May God fovever bless your union.
I love you,
sita