Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Spencer's Cove

Alright, so the baby gate didn't work. We went out for a short run on Tuesday morning only to come back to Spencer, still behind it, with a severely scratched up hardwood floor. Ouch. After a bit of touch up with a wood stained marker it wasn't looking too bad. The scratches are still there but are pretty good camouflaged with the marker. Thankfully David didn't saw our door in half yet so we moved on to option 2.

David constructed a door out of plywood, hooks, and plexiglass. I must say that I was quite impressed. He then placed a rug underneath and near the door. We thought we had the answer. Not so. I came back from my run this morning and found the rug pulled up and more scratches in the floor. Man. Back to the marker. I called David to let him know, and he once again got his brain a' churnin'. He has now secured a piece of thick plexiglass to 2, 2 X 4's, which are then secured to the wall, on the floor. This way when he does scratch, he'll be scratching at the plexiglass instead of the floor. I don't even want to get my hopes up as to if this will work. We'll be going to dinner in a bit and then we shall see when we arrive home. I'm sure after time he will come to love his little cove, but for now he just wants to be free. Thankfully my husband is mechanically inclined. Here are some pictures of the contraption. Please disregard the primitive walls and wood. We're currently working on renovating them and also plan on painting the door once we find if this is our solution or not.




1 comment:

Jen said...

Good luck on Spencer's Cove. Hopefully with time he will become more relaxed with it.