Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Good, The Bad.

David began his inprocessing paperwork for his new job yesterday. That's very excited given that he's ready to be there and not in his present work situation. His actual start date won't be for another 1.5 weeks, but it's nice to know that his paperwork is out of the way. Part of the paperwork included the health insurance application.

The good thing is that his coverage will be awesome. It's a 90/10 plan meaning very little out of pocket and he'll meet his deductible fast. There's a prescription plan along with dental/vision coverage too. Another thing is that he doesn't have to wait 90 days for coverage. It's starts the next calendar month after beginning his job.

The bad thing is that, by law, if your spouse's primary insurance is and HSA, they cannot provide any secondary coverage. And given their ruling that the spouse must take any coverage through their own work, that's where I'm at. I have an HSA through work so I cannot qualify for any of David's awesome new coverage. I had a feeling that's the way it was going to be given everything that was told to us last week and the small bit of research I performed. I'm jealous but I must be happy that at least one of us has good medical coverage.

I'm not sure what my next course of action will be. I think I will look into individual coverage but having already been through that during our time period after the military and before our medical coverage went into effect afterwards, it's not going to be too promising. Where you "make out" is with larger businesses/corporations with the groups rates.

On the upside the money I have in our HSA account will be all "mine" and I won't have to worry about having to split it between 2 people if something were to occur. So technically I have more of a buffer than previously since it's only to cover one person and not 2. Just trying to look at the bright side of things.

No comments: