Friday, February 06, 2009

Bite Me

So, you know how I blogged so nicely about that dog yesterday? Sure enough that comment came back to bite me in the ass. Okay, not so much the ass, but definitely the finger.

Upon attempting to get him out of his kennel this morning he began to show aggression. Thankfully we were able to retrieve him with a big blanket. I attempted to put a muzzle on with no luck. I went to a backup plan of trying to place a gauze muzzle, which would then allow me to place the actual muzzle. Well, the gauze broke and the dog was able to get me. I had leather gloves on for protection, but sure enough he got me, and good. Not so good was that my boss happened to call at that exact moment. He was calling to get an update on the pup to see how he was. At that point I hadn't removed the glove to see the damage. All I knew was I was in pain and the tears were about to start flowing from the adrenaline rush. Doc asked how the pup was but I couldn't help but drop the F bomb. Not only did I drop the F bomb, but Mother F'er. Yep, talking to my boss, I dropped that. Good going Heidi. He was cool with it and took no offense. Our conversation ended quickly and he was at the practice in a flash. In the meantime I tried to keep my composure. I knew what I had to do, actually doing it is a whole different thing. Everyone reacts differently when their adrenaline kicks in, especially from being bitten. My reaction is anger, the pain hits, the tears start to flow, and then nausea kicks in from the pain.

In the end, the dog received his treatment via a different route and I'm doing fine. I didn't feel my wound required professional care, so I took care of it at work...cleaning it, applying ointment, taking ibuprofen, and placing a pressure wrap that was thick enough to prevent pain from bumping it. However, the dog has never received it's rabies vaccine, nor did the dog that bit him. Thankfully I've received my rabies vaccine series and have reported the bite to the appropriate agencies. But if you see me start to go crazy and start hyper salivating, you may want to steer clear. =)

Check out my gory pictures below....




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww my baby sister! You look so cute with your finger wrapped up looking like a club :)

TEAM BROWNE said...

i think you should bite him back,... its only fair.

Jacki said...

Yikes! But your giant blue finger looks kinda cool. ;)