Saturday, May 10, 2008

Something's Not Right

Just got back from my "long" last run before next week's Half. Needless to say, it was shitty and disheartening. Not really the kind of last long run I had hoped for. I have to attribute it to several factors. I haven't run since last Sunday. That had to do with weather, my schedule, and me not feeling too well. Over the past 72 hours I've had some GI issues going on. Not just GI but some unknown source of pain too.

On Wednesday we had shish kabobs on the grill. By Thursday afternoon I had this turning in my chest/abdomen right below my sternum. I can compare it to several things....like when you get a sharp pain in your chest unexpectedly (although not as sharp) or if you were to swallow a hard piece of candy whole and have it sit in your esophagus/stomach and hurt until it dissolves. It comes and goes but as stated it almost feels like a turning or wrenching feeling. I thought it may have been heartburn but I'm not the type to usually have that problem. Not to mention, we were currently out of OTC meds for me to take. I kept on only to wake up and have it during the night too. I found that no matter what I did nothing helped. I thought I'd eat a banana. Nope, didn't help. I tried not to eat. Nope. I tried a ton of water. Nope. I woke up with the same problem along with some additional GI upset on Friday. While at work my coworkers recommended I try some Tums, and after 2 hours a 5 tums later, it didn't help. I took a Zantac. I think it may have helped but the symptoms were back soon after so I can't say whether it was the Zantac or not.

Of course this discomfort has taken me to the Internet in search of possibilities. Now, I'm not trying to diagnose myself by any means, but I figured I'd humor myself. So the Internet, along with other people's suggestions, leads me to a gall bladder issue. Once again, I don't think this is the problem considering I've never had issues before but I dunno.

Looking at my diet I can't really pinpoint anything that could've set this off. I haven't tried anything that I've never tried before and for those that know me I have a pretty set diet. Same thing for breakfast and lunch usually every day. Oatmeal for breakfast....apple and yogurt for lunch. My dinner usually has variety, but I still have my staples. The only thing I can think would be the the potatoes or more likely the green peppers from the shish kabobs because I had them Wednesday and Thursday. In addition, I eat green peppers but not that often and not in that abundance.

So, I dunno what's going on. I just want it to end and hopefully well before next weekend. I know I can run 13.1 miles. But how pretty it is depends on many variable factors.

No comments: