Tuesday, May 13, 2008

It's Coming

I was about to sit down and do some school work. But considering I've been doing it darn near all day I thought it was time to take a moment to blog and update whoever cares what's going on in our lives.

For those that saw my tweet, there may be an issue with my English course for my vet tech program. Yeah, isn't it great that they tell me as I go into my last semester. Right. I called the school to ask about how I need to answer a question on my Co-op form. At that time the registrar asked me about my English course. She said I took English 112 which would be comparable to their 1302. No problem, right? No. I need 1301, not 1302. In other words I need 111 and not the 112 that I took my first semester of college. I guess 112/1302 is the 2nd class and not the 1st in the English series. I explained that I don't know why I took the class other than that's what my advisor had me sign up for. The registrar stated that she'd look into it and see what to do. I did a quick search of BGSU's site to find that I had taken a placement test and was placed higher in 112 instead of 110 or 111. Ah, that rang a bell. I then called the registrar back and notified her of what happened but she was still unsure as to why this was the case. I had to explain it several times. I also asked why this is now just being caught. Every level I progressed in the program I had to have more general education/prerequisite classes finished. I had most of them done before entering the program with the exception of speech and biology. She said, "we just look at it on a case by case basis." So according to what she's saying is I may not get credit for my class even though it was on a harder learning level. Once again, right.....So as of this very moment I'm not sure what my next step will be since she has to "look into it." However, I do have in my hot hands not only all of my transcripts but also my approval, signed by the previous program director, that says my course credits transferred. Date 1/13/03....my first semester of the program. All I know is this, if need be I will fight it but hope it doesn't come to that. Why must this happen in my last semester? I definitely don't want to go another semester to take a class that I've basically already taken, but one step higher.

The Half Marathon is around the corner. Really, it is. On Sunday I had one of those, "holy crap" feelings. The kind where your heart feels like it's pumping out of your chest and you start to sweat. Of course it wasn't just because of the race but also because I knew it'd be an interesting week with school starting and the seminar too. I feel confident in my school work (other than the English deal stated above). I know the seminar will go fine. Just nervous about going to a weird place by myself, that's all. As for the run, well, I think you can understand my nerves. Actually, maybe not. Even my long training runs cause an anxiety with me. Once I get out there I get into a zone and am fine, but it's just getting to that point. I just question my ability to run it, which I shouldn't do so. I've done it before, why do I worry? I must say though, this past weekend's run didn't boost my confidence and if anything caused positive reinforcement to my having anxiety. I already have my list started for things to take and know what I'm wearing all the way down to my underwear. Yes, I know the race is Sunday, but you can never be too prepared. Having the right underwear can make a big difference. Actually, I can't say for sure what I'll be wearing. I have my bright green shorts planned, so I'll be easier to pick out in the crowd, but looking at the weather that may not be possible. In checking the weather it's calling for rain and high near 57. Considering we'll also be running starting at 7am it will be quite chilly. Shorts may not be in the gameplan. Of course you have to figure in your own increase in body temperature and increase in temperature as time goes on too though. I'll probably take a wide variety and choose the morning of the race. I see wearing layers and stripping down happening.

On the Zoloft front, things are going great. I've been taking it in the morning and haven't had any issues and am sleeping through the night. And as of Saturday I have upped my dose to the recommended dose. I was originally on half the dose to prevent any side effects. So no more side effects and I feel pretty darn good. No complaints from me.

So that's what's the deal here. Time to get back to books.

2 comments:

erika said...

It's ok to worry...it actually helps you prepare I think.

Bring a long-sleeve shirt you don't mind throwing away, and a garbage bag with holes cut out for head and arms. They pick up discarded clothing along the course and donate to homeless so you don't have to feel guilty about littering the streets of Cleveland.

I got your emails and I'll head down Friday to get our bibs...fingers crossed that the shirts aren't as lame as last year's.

Can't wait to see you on Saturday. I'll give you a call on Friday to coordinate our schedules. Remember to take deep breaths and get as much rest as you can because it's nearly impossible to get a good night's sleep the night before the big day.

Anonymous said...

I think colleges throw a curveball at you the last semester to get you prepared for the "real world". They did something similar to me and I ended up having to do a self study project to get enough credits to graduate. Long story. I am sure it will work out, but it sucks to have to prove what you know to be true.
Good luck on your run. I will be thinking about you and I am sure you will do great.