Thursday, February 14, 2008

Northern Winter

I haven't had much to post about lately. It's just been a drab northern sort of week. Snow, cold temperatures, and people with colds. David's still battling whatever he has. He feels better for a few hours then it comes back for a few hours. Keeps coming and going. I believe he's done with the gastrointestinal signs but his chest and head are still stuffed. It has taken the same course as with all of my coworkers. However, I don't think he acquired it through me. There were several people at his work that came down with the same symptoms the same day as David or the day after. And come to find out Alpa ended up leaving work yesterday and mom said they're dropping like flies at her work too. So whatever it is, it's out there and it's there with a vengeance. Thankfully I'm still holding strong. I don't know if it will last but I will continue taking my vitamins and can only hope. Maybe hope that those long runs in the cold weather helped. Wishful thinking? Dunno. We shall see.

Speaking of running. Our last run was last Saturday. That's when the cold and snow hit. I've been keeping up with pilates and other crosstraining type of stuff. But that's more of a "feel good" type of thing for my mind. Not saying that pilates doesn't do anything, I know it does, but it's not the same as running. But at least I know I'm doing something.

We should be having our taxes done soon. I absolutely hate taxes. With the exception of the first year we were married we have always owed. How can that be? We claim "zero" on our tax forms meaning that take out the most throughout the year and we still owe. We don't get it. It's very frustrating year after year. At this point I don't even care if we were to get a return, I just want to, for once, not owe anything. Anyway, by the slight chance of grace we were hoping to get some sort of return this year (right, I know...pipe dream). With that return we had thought of looking into a treadmill. Once again, I'm not a huge fan of treadmills but it'd give us an option, not to mention we actual have room for one at this point with us cleaning out the downstairs bedroom. But after doing some research it looks like the treadmills located in most stores should be used mostly for walking with some running. They're not made for constant running. That's news to me. I'm sure people do buy those treadmills and use them for running, but I wouldn't want to attempt it only to have it breakdown after 1 year. So instead of the $800-$1500 range we were looking at, we should be looking at the $2000-$4000 range. Right. That's not going to happen. On to plan B.....Get my butt outside. Ah well.

The conditions outside have been dangerous our poor at best. Living on side streets we don't get the same care as the main roads. So in order to get to the main roads you have to pass over some treacherous terrain. Then you end up still running in the streets on the main roads, hoping not to hit a patch of ice or worse, black ice. I will continue to be patient over the next day or so. This too shall pass. By Sunday we'll be in the mid 30's to low 40's. Perfect. Hopefully I can fit in a short run on Saturday followed by a long run Sunday.

David's had an even harder time training due to the cold. His feet go numb shortly into the run. He's been known to trip and fall due to not feeling his feet. He went on a short 3 mile run last Saturday with me and realized he's gotten out of the routine of running. That put a bit of worry in his mind.

Of course the Cleveland Half-Marathon/Marathon February newsletter had to come out last weekend. They were encouraging you to get out in the cold weather and train....explaining how to dress, etc. And they said, "The event is only 3 and 1/2 months away." Geez. Minor freakout. It's just around the corner and I know it will be here before I know it. I know, I know...We'll get there and be prepared. But sometimes it can seem overwhelming, especially as I sit here having not run for 4 days, feeling as though I'm moving away from the goal rather than toward it. I'll just keep telling myself, March will be better weather. If not, ah well, we'll still meet our goal. I have 93 days to do it.

No comments: