Friday, March 02, 2007

Shopping Etiquette

Got a story for you. I was sent to get things from Walmart today for work. Now most of you know that I'm a speedracer when it comes to shopping. I know where I'm going, why I'm going there, and how I'm getting there. However, at the same time I feel that I'm quite respectable of others and I may even take a longer way around as not to disturb someone else's shopping experience. In addition, I try to smile at others while I'm passing them. I know this isn't a big deal. But I think to myself..."What if this is the only smile they receive today? At least I can give them that one and that it may change their entire day." Maybe not...but at least I can think that, right? So on with the story. Within the first aisle I had to move out of other people's way. Not a big deal. You know, they are where you want to go so you pick up your cart and scoot it over to the side so they can come out and you can go where they are. They apologize. I smile and say "no problem." Then I continue on. So I just start to pick up some speed and come to an "intersection". I slow down as to not hit anyone, I peak out and see 1 older woman I will be merging with onto the her aisle. I quickly jut out and speed up as to not get in her way. Well come to find out there was another woman who I didn't see that she was with, right next to her. Omigosh. I must have offended them so badly.....for the next 10 aisles all I heard was "JEEZ! Someone is in a hurry. How rude can she be?" pick pick pick on me. Now remember, I was trying to be the nice person and stay out of the way. I'm thinking, "Wait you're thinking I'm rude when you're sitting there saying all these rude comments loud enough for me to hear?" It took so much in me not to turn around and say something. But my reality kicks in and I remind myself....I'm in work gear, shopping for work things. That wouldn't be appropriate. Then I think, "What would I say?" I don't want to make an idiot out of myself and stoop to their level. So I just remind myself, "the Lord will bless them according to their deeds." And I continue on throughout my day. I'd just like to make a friendly reminder that we all must be aware of what we're doing when we're shopping. Now mind you, I'm not the perfect shopper. But am I the only one who can't stand the lolly gaggers who you think are out to get you and get in your way? Or the people that stop in the middle of the aisle to carry on an entire conversation? What about those that are in the aisle and leave their cart on the opposite side of the aisle in which they are looking...which means they block the aisle with their cart and their body while they try to figure out what the heck kind of cereal they want. And this alert also goes to my fellow speedracers that ram their cart into yours. In addition to the shopping experience I would also like to remind our elders that as much as you think us younger people are rude and inconsiderate we oftentimes see you in the same light of being rude and prude. I'm not trying to offend anyone here but as stated earlier it's always nice to have that little voice in your head remind you not to judge those around you and to instead try to understand them. Okay. I'm done with my story and lecturing. Have a great weekend y'all!

No comments: