Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Forest Gump Mindset

David had another call for work at 2:30am this morning. That's two days in a row. I guess that's just something you deal with when you're on call. Yesterday morning he didn't leave immediately but today he left soon after receiving the call. I guess he couldn't sleep since it was on his mind, even though it wasn't an "emergency" call. He got back just as our alarm went off, so I rolled over to him and said, "Well? Are we running?" He said, "I'm real tired but I know I won't be able to sleep." So it was decided that we'd run but it would be our shortest route due to him having to leave early for work today...Thursdays he has to make an early morning deilivery to a factory so we get up early and have to run a shorter route.

We took off and since I had such a rough run on this route this past weekend I decided to try a different mindset. Instead of thinking, "This is the short route, it will be done before I know it." I thought, "Steady. This is such a long route. It's so far." I don't know if today was just a better running day or what, but it worked. When we were about halfway on our short route I thought to myself, "I think I'll go a little longer route to home." So I passed the information on to David and handed him the key to the house. I told him I should be home before he was out of the shower and that I wasn't sure what I was going to do but I knew I was going to atleast extend the route by another block. Well, I got to that point and thought to myself, "I've gone this far, how about another block?" Then it just kept happening and happening again. All the way until I ran another whole route. So instead of just running the 1.2 miles that was planned, I ran 2 of our shorter routes that totalled 3.3 miles. Not bad. I guess I had a bit of Forest Gump in me today...I'd hit one goal and figured if I made it that far I might as well keep going. All the while singing "bumpin' up and down in my little red wagon." (think 1 little, 2 little, 3 little indians melody. Great song by the way. A children's singer/songwriter named Raffi. Always listened to him as a kid. Recently I was downloading some songs for a friend's child and it brought back fond memories). Ah, a great run that was unexpected.

I'm also getting pumped about this weekend. This weekend is the Akron Marathon, which Erika will be participating in. Will I be there? You bet I'll be there! Even if it takes leaving at 4:30am, I'm going to be there. This will be my first marathon experience so I can't wait to stand on the sidelines and cheer her on. I've got my sign ready and all. I've got a sign? Heck yeah I got a sign. Actually, I've got 2 signs. If I'm going to do this, I'm doing it right. Don't forget to holler at her before Saturday. Go Erika Go!

3 comments:

kyleroth said...

Heidi, can't wait to see you down in Akron. Erika is getting nervous now, but she will make it through just fine.

BananaBuzzbomb said...

Yes she will!! =)

erika said...

Heidi, thank you so much for your support. Even though I can't believe that you are driving all that way to see me run (oh, and please do not leave at 4:30...that's way too early), I want you to know that I will look forward to seeing you cheering me on...it is definitely going to make a difference. You are one special person...thanks!