Friday, September 07, 2007

A Pipe Dream Can Become A Reality

One thing with being part of the "analyzing family" (that's what David calls us) is that I'll sit and ponder a thought. This can happen from hours on end. I'll go from one idea that leads to another idea, to another, and so on. I could end on an idea that doesn't even seem related to the original thought, but somehow I got there. And after I finish my thinking, if I set my mind to getting something, it gets in my mind that "it will happen."

So a couple days ago I was sitting thinking. First I that "It was great to be able to go on a trip to see family". Then my thought was "It is great to be able to go on a trip with my mom." Then "I'm so thankful to have a husband that will not only let me go on the trips, but also spend the money to go on a trip." Then "You know, I think it'd be cool for David to go on a trip, to get away from it all." Then, "He's never been on an actual trip with just him and his dad." Then "Maybe I could do that....send them away on a trip." Then "To where? Ah ha! Minnesota, to a Minnesota Vikings game." Then, "Knowing that it will be a little more expensive than my trip, I could do it for his Christmas present." So then I was on a roll.

To break it down a bit....David's dad has always been a Vikings fan, so naturally David was born a Vikings fan. They've watched them through the years through the ups and downs (with mostly downs), but have always stayed true Vikings fans. A few years back we all took a road trip up to see them play in the Metrodome, which was everyone's first "Metrodome experience." Having always had to see them up in Detroit playing the Lions they were always outcasts...got made fun of, had beer spilled on them, etc. When we went to the Metrodome we were on home turf and it was an amazing experience. I just thought it'd be an awesome thing to be able to send them to Minnesota, to see a Vikings game, just the 2 of them, and fly them there, so they wouldn't have to drive.

Hmmm, it could be just a pipe dream, but dreams never become a reality without trying. Time to get Sita in on it and get the ball rolling. We stopped by their house last night and I presented the idea to Sita and she said to check it out. I was hoping to be able to surprise the guys, but wasn't sure exactly how I was going to do this. If you remember, I've never been able to surprise David. The problem I could see was trying to determine what game and if they'd be able to get off work.

I got home and got on the internet to see what I could find. To my surprise the Vikings tickets were cheap. I'm talkin' $15 cheap. Sweet. Now, what game? Through process of elimination I had to narrowed down to the San Diego Chargers on November 4th or the Oakland Raiders on November 18. The problem I ran into was our trip to Hawaii, Monday Night Football, and the holidays, so it was determined, The Chargers. Ok, over to flights. Check Cleveland, Toledo, then Detroit. Detroit's cheapest, there we go. Then to choose which flight. They could leave on an early Saturday morning and arrive in Minnesota by 9:30 am leaving an entire day for Mall of America, then they could leave on Monday afternoon, allowing them Monday morning to do something too. Okay, check that off. A rental car...check! Now for a hotel. The closest one I could find was 1/2 mile away from the Metrodome and then there was one 12 blocks away for $10 cheaper a night. Considering we've already been to Minnesota in the winter and had to walk those 12 blocks before I chose the closest one....Baby, it's cold outside! That way they'll also be "in the action with tailgating." I check every site known to man to compare deals, etc. and have it decided who I was going to go with for what. Alright, back to Sita...."This is what I got." And she says "go for it!" That's when my realistic side kicks in and I think, "you know, I really need to check with the guys on this one...I'm sure they won't care who they go to see play, but I wouldn't want to choose a total bust and I want to make sure that something isn't already on their schedules for that date." I pulled David over to the computer and present the idea. His face lights up and he's just short of doing the happy dance. I then call Alpa and ask him, "Would you be willing to go with my husband on a trip?" He answers with an unsure voice, "yeah." And I say, "What about to Minnesota? And how about adding a Vikings game to that trip?" I could read the excitement in his voice as his "yeah." becomes more definite. But then of course he must ask, "Who's paying for this? How is this happening?" And I just tell him, "I got connections" and leave it at that. At that point the guys get on the phone with each other and they remind me of little boys. Just chatting away, and then I hear Alpa say, "I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight." Okay, my surprise didn't exactly go as I had planned in my head, but the reaction from the guys was just as good as I had hoped, if not better.

This goes to show you that pipe dreams can become a reality, even in just a few short hours with a little research, faith, and patience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool. I'm sure the "guys" will have a fabulous time. Good call, Heidi

Anonymous said...

Good call on the game, Heidi. The Chargers are a much better team than Oakland and Nov. 18th is the same weekend of "THE GAME".

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing to do for David and his dad. They will remember their outing for years.
Grandma Q