Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Watch Out For Them Thar Sidewalks. They'll Jump Up And Bite Ya!

A new season is here. With the change in seasons comes a change in running issues too. No longer are we worried about being too hot while we run. The newest thing is trying to see in the dark and trying to find a happy medium between hot and cold.

Let's start with the darkness. It's great to be able to run under the stars, but not being able to see where your feet are going isn't so much fun. Over a week ago I almost took a tumble, only to catch myself and keep going. Then yesterday it was David's turn. It was raining and there was a downspout that was overpouring with water. To avoid getting wet I hurried to get in front of David and all of the sudden "crash bang boom! he was on the ground. But man is he fast! Before I could even turn around to say "are you ok?!" he was up and running. Of course I was all worried about him as he just brushed it off. Come to find out later that he tripped, tucked his shoulder, did a somersault, and just kept going. I didn't know he was that limber! I guess something good did come out of the Marine Corps. I've been looking for something to use since it's been so dark but haven't come up with anything creative yet. With already having my mace/keys in one hand I don't want to be carrying a flashlight in the other. I've already moved on to the headlamp/head torch idea, but really don't care to go that route considering I'd look like a miner running down the street. Ah, but it'd be a good laugh though. We'll just have to see. After thinking about it we realized our best lit route is the one we tend to run the most so we may just have to stick to that for the time being and hope that with the time change it will help.

As for the hot/cold issue. Fall seemed to come overnight last night here in northern Ohio. We knew it was coming considering we keep an eye on the weather, but it still doesn't make it easy. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE fall weather, it's just trying to get my body used to it, especially with the whole running thing. I know I don't want to dress too warm, but at the same time I don't want to freeze before getting warm enough. Before we went to bed we checked the weather to find that it was supposed to be 54 degrees at 6am. I then headed to my running gear to decide what to wear. I had first decided capris and t-shirt, but David talked me out of that saying that I'd be too warm and that I need to wear shorts. So it was decided that I wear shorts, t-shirt, and an Adidas jacket. We woke up and it was quite chilly...however not as chilly as predicted. Only 60 degrees according to our thermometer. We did an out and back run. It was a brisk start to the run with some wind but then it diminished. By the end of the first half I was pretty warm. Warm enough to unzip the jacket. Then we started to head back. Oh boy, wind coming at us. I was wondering where that wind went, ha! it was at our backs...now we were heading right into it. Then the chill came over me. I was hot and cold at the same time. To make it worse, inside my nose started having that weird feeling of being in cold weather. I could feel myself falling apart physically and mentally, but I wasn't about to give up. I kept going with my thighs burning and all, self-talking through it. "Come on Heidi. You can do it." And we made it. I know running will always have it's surprises but this first year I know will definitely have it's challenges with all the seasonal changes. Hey, something to look forward to, even if they are challenges, they are challenges that we can overcome. Drive, Drive, Drive!

Oh yeah, with my crazy schedule this past week I forgot to blog about the alcohol and my foot. I bet I got you wondering now....So the day after I got back from Florida I was doing wash and pulled down the detergent off the shelf and all of the sudden there was immediate pain coming from my foot. "Son of a....." The isopropyl alcohol that I had been using for the dryer fiasco, a couple weeks ago, was up on the shelf next to the detergent. Well, that little puppy, the entire quart, decided to plop down on my foot. Youch! It hit the top of my foot right behind the 3rd-5th digits. It immediately began to swell and I had a decent amount of pain for the first 24 hours. Knowing nothing was broken, I kept running and as time went on it continued to change color on a daily basis. In all honesty I think it looks worse now than it did when it happened. I don't have the aching pain anymore, but if the bruise receives pressure it lets me know it's still there.

Okay, enough of this blogging stuff tonight. I gotta hit the books for an hour or so, even though I've had my nose in the books almost the entire day...all morning before going to work and every spare second I had at work. And it's only the 3rd day of the semester.

No comments: