Friday, May 18, 2007

Positive Thoughts And Self Awareness

I've been loving this spring. It's been such a time of renewing and refreshing. It's hard to explain. I thinks it's because I'm able to get outside and do something. Not to mention even though I get off at about 6-7 everynight I still feel like I have a few hours to actually get something done with the extra daylight. With getting out and running I've been able to see what's around us. So often you're in a hurry that you don't notice the normal day to day things around you. Now mind you some of the stuff is depressing...such as worn down houses/property, but I've also been able to see things around me that are positive...such as people outside working on their yards/houses, or walking their dogs. Heck, even the birds chirping bring a smile to my face.

I'm just at a positive time in my life where I am happy where I am. I'm happy that we live in Sandusky even though we never thought we'd come back. I'm happy to be able to enjoy what's around us. I'm happy to have family that's close. I'm happy to have friends around us. I'm happy to be able to enjoy the simple (and free) pleasures that abound here. (Side note: I know it's only Sandusky and it's not the same as it used to be. But what is? If anything, that gives me the drive to get out and attempt to better what is around us. You don't know how important it is to be able to take your dogs for a walk and feel like you're safe or even be in your own house and feel like you're safe. Trust me on this one.) Now, of course there are things that aren't so positive in my life such as stress at work, but whatever.

Obviously this whole running thing has helped me more than I know. I can't say I look forward to running...actually, I guess I do. I don't look forward to it in the way that I know it's still challenging to me. But once I get done the sense of accomplishment makes me feel so good. And believe it or not it's a peaceful time. Even when I'm running with David. We don't talk. All you hear is what's around you including your feet hitting the pavement and mostly you breathing in and out.

Another thing that I hope to help me become and stay postive is that recently a friend brought to my attention the idea of 21 Days Of No Complaining. There's a church somewhere that is doing this. The concept is that you wear a bracelet on your left hand and if you complain you must move the bracelet to your right hand and the 21 days start all over. I'm not sure I believe in the whole "no complaining" bit but I've tweaked the idea into a better one (in my eyes).

With being a human we know that we aren't perfect and we're constantly evolving and I'd like to evolve into a better person, not a negative person. It's come to my attention that I'm a person with extreme facial expressions. I show my feelings quite readily. But the bad thing is not only that, but my facial expressions aren't taken very well because sometimes they don't line up to exactly what I'm thinking in my mind. Hard to explain, hopefully you get it. So instead of 21 Days Of No Complaining I'm starting a 21 Days Of Positive Thoughts and Self Awareness. So here we go...I can't wait to find out what the rest of spring and summer has in store for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are so happy that you have chosen to come back "home". Good luck with the "Little Miss Happy" face!
Mom