Tuesday, May 01, 2007

My Newest Great Idea

As all of you know I've been attempting a lifestyle change and have so far succeeded. Now, on to the next change. Trying to get more exercise.

Now, David and Joey have been running at least twice a week and have seen some success with that. David's evening getting back into his ol' running shoes and kickin' it just like in the Marine Corps. Ya'll know I've also been using my weighted hula hoop and Jen and I have been doing walks here and there but I want to kick it up a notch. So Jen and I came to the conclusion....we're going to run.

This is a longshot, especially for me. I'm not a runner. I can't make it once around a track...ok, I'll be honest, I can't make it halfway around a track. But I always have dreams of having springs on my shoes and just running so smoothly. I don't think that will ever happen but I just want to break the barrier and actually be able to run. Even if I have to wear 2 sports bras to support myself. Heck, I'm willing to use an ace bandage if need be. I just have this drive in me to get out there and do this. And if I've found something in myself with keeping to my lifestyle change, if I believe in myself, I can do it. In addition, David, Joey, and my cousin's wife Erika....just to name a few.....give me motivation to go out and better myself. And as always, I like to take challenges that I see in my life, and take them head on, one by one to conquer them.

With that being said today was to be our start day for running....and there was a buzzkill. Come to find out the forecast called for rain. So we went into the day saying, "yes, we're going to run, unless the weather hinders us." By the end of the afternoon the rain started and there were severe weather watches/warnings everywhere. It's probably not a good idea to attempt this on a day that calls for tornadoes. So we called off the run and rescheduled to either tomorrow or the next day depending on the weather. David and I ate dinner and I waited for this "severe" weather to hit. Does it hit? Nope. A day of running waisted. It sprinkled here and there and the temperature plummeted but it looks like the rain decided to be severe south of us and we were spared. Ah well, the hula hoop will do for the day.

I'll be straight up though...if I do succeed with this running idea I can possibly see this being a "negative" thing. By negative, I mean it's something I could possibly become obsessive with considering my OCD behavior. But why down the idea before even trying? I'm willing to take the risk...not to mention, I may not succeed. Nah, I'm not leaving any room for failure...I will succeed. Bottom line. I claim it now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't think anyone has ever called me one of their motivations for exercise. I feel special.

erika said...

Running can actually help you with the OCD issues (at least it helps mine). It lets you just release and relax. It's you and the road, nothing else. Don't worry about starting...you'll be piling on the miles before you know it. Just start out slow and build from there. Remember...one mile at a time. Best of luck!