Saturday, August 18, 2007

Just Be You

It's kind of cool how music lyrics work. As you listen you may be able to see exactly where the writer was coming from. On the other had they could mean something to the writer, but as you listen to them, they could strike you in a totally different way. Lyrics, quotes, etc. help get me through tough times. They help me see through the darkness and know that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Needless to say it's been a tough week or two. There's no need to go into detail here. But I will say, just when you think you know yourself and have confidence in yourself and beliefs there's always someone or something that comes along to try a tear you down just because you're different. And after your time of questioning yourself, you come full circle to find that you still feel the same as you did when you started. And you realize that you will never fit everyone's mold of what you should be or do, and that you should continue to accept yourself for who you are and what you do. Of course that's not to say that there's no room for improvement. I thought this stuff ended in junior high and high school. Hmm. Ah well. I carry on and say, "Devil, I'm taking in back."

Something has changed within me. Something is not the same. I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game. Too late for second-guessing. Too late to go back to sleep. It's time to trust my instincts. Close my eyes. And leap...
...I'm through accepting limits. Cuz someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change. But till I try I'll never know. Too long I've been afraid of losing love I guess I've lost. Well if that's love. It comes at much too high a cost...
...And if I'm flying solo. At least I'm flying free. To those who ground me. Take a message back from me!
Elphaba~Wicked~Defying Gravity

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't let "them" do it. They can't. You are who you are. Don't give up and don't give in. God made you who you are, a true gift and if everyone can't appreciate that, then so what. It is their loss. Hold strong to your convictions. Good will prevail.

Therese said...

Amen-and those are some of my favorite musical lyrics, too!