Sunday, August 19, 2007

Raining and 60 Degrees...Perfect

I guess it's time to do some posting. I've been slacking this week. Give me a break, sometimes you need some time off. I guess that's not really the right wording...considering you don't take off of something you like to do. I think you get what I mean. Other things tend to work their way to the top of your to-do list and the blog just fell lower on the list. Nothing all that exciting is going on. Just counting down to the 5K. Can't believe it's next Saturday. I can't say that I'm nervous, just excited. I'm sure I'll have anxiety on the morning of the race. Come on, if I didn't you'd wonder what had happened to the real Heidi. But more than likely the anxiety will be from just wanting to get there, be on time, and get settled in. It's not only our first time but it's also an hour away which kind of takes it to a different level of preparation. Travel time, where to park, going through the formalities, change of clothes, etc. I'm not worried about finishing either. I'll finish no matter what. I've run the distance before. The question is if it will be a pretty finish. And it's nothing I can worry about. I know what I'm doing and I'm going to show up and do my thing. The rest is up to mother nature. I'm also not worried about the time in which I do it either. Time's not really an issue with me at this point. I just want to get out there and do it. I'm getting pumped just thinking about. Dorky, I know, but give me a break.

Speaking of preparation...we usually run on Saturdays and take Sundays off, but recently our schedule has been too busy on Saturdays, making us flip the days. I set the alarm for this morning and got up to find it pouring outside with a temperature of 60 degrees. At that point I thought, "Man, another day off." We went downstairs and prepared my lunch for tomorrow (my co-workers and I rotate bringing lunch to work on Mondays...tomorrow's my day) and then went upstairs and did some strength training to take the place of running today. After I got done David did his thing and we were sitting there trying to figure out what to do for the day. We must have felt pretty guilty about not running because we decided we needed to head out in the rain. Who cares if it's pouring and cool. I was kind of intimidated but I reminded myself that I love to run in the rain and that who knows what will happen next weekend. As of now they're calling for rain. In addition I've already decided that I will continue training throughout winter, and why should the cool weather stop me today? So I got my usual gear on with a new adidas hoodie added and we headed out. I am so glad we did. First and foremost my guilt was lifted, which also lifts the guilt of eating a little something extra today and knowing that I had burned it off. But even better, it was a new experience and pretty fun. As with previous runs in the rain, it was so releasing and you almost feel like a kid out playing in the rain. The cool weather didn't hinder us much. Our lungs had to get used to it and by the time I was done the front of my legs were pretty pink from being cold, but ah well. It was still fun. Then after transferring my Garmin info I found it was our fastest run to date (since having the Garmin atleast). Shoot, and we weren't even trying to do that. Sweet. I can only imagine what the people in their cars were thinking as they drove past us. Probably, "those people are crazy." And I know this because I was once the type of person, in the car, driving by, thinking how crazy those people were for out exercising in the elements.

In the early afternoon we stopped by the movies to see what was on and decided to finally see Harry Potter. As expected it was very good. I will say though, if I was a kid I would have never been able to make it through the HP movies. They are too freakin' scary. I'm not scared now, mind you, but I remember when I couldn't even make it through Sister Act without hiding my face and crying....don't ask. But it was good. Of course after the people behind us decided to stop talking 20 minutes into the movie...and that was after David finally turned around and asked, "Are you going to talk through the entire movie?" Hey, the "turning your head and giving them the 'shut up!' look" didn't work so he had to do something. I just don't get why people pay all that money to go to the movies to talk throughout the entire thing. And I swear we're the ones that always get stuck by these people...the talkers, the singers, the too talls. Yep, we get there early to stake out our seats and it never fails that the movie starts and then they walk in. It's too late to move so all you can do is try to block them out. And you know I'm not good at blocking out, big surprise. Okay, done with the rant. Great movie though.

Now we're just sitting here. It'd be a perfect afternoon for a nap but I want to make sure I can sleep tonight. And soon enough it will be time for dinner. Hope everyone has had a relaxing, yet fulfilling, weekend.

No comments: