Sunday, July 01, 2007

Drunken Kitties

Yes, you read the title correctly. Our house is full of drunken kitties. Let me explain. Recently Jax has taken to a behavior I'm not too fond of. He'll come up to you and lay on your lap. He starts making biscuits (kneading) which is fine. In the process he has also decided to make little love bites, which is not fine. They don't hurt so much but a little pinch isn't always welcome. So I talked to Dr. B and she said maybe it's because he's not being stimulated enough and he needs more playtime. I explained that toys are always available and you have to work to get him to play. She then recommended cat nip. Aha! Every so often we'll get them some but I've decided to try and keep our house fully stocked with the goodies to see if this helps. So the cats loved the afternoon, what they can remember of it of course =)

Nothing was planned today. We made a few stops here and there, including MC Sports and Dunhams. I swear I've spent more time in these stores over the past 2 weeks than I've spent there in my lifetime. Just pricing things, cross referencing prices, or we'll forget something. The workers probably think we're nuts. We each got another pair of shorts this weekend. It's amazing how fast you go through your clothing items when you're exercising everyday. I'm diggin' my new shorts. They even have the liner inside, kind of like underwear. Weird, but cool. Sooner than we know it we'll be looking for cold weather gear. Oooh, not looking forward to that. Let's stay focused on the summer.

In speaking with Erika at the wedding I got some helpful hints that were well needed. She recommended Hal Higdon's, site so I checked it out. It has a wealth of information and David and I have decided to start a new "training schedule". It's a marathon training schedule. Now, I can hear ya'll now, "Why the he** would you do something like that?" "You're setting yourself up for failure." I hear ya and let me explain.

The bottom line is that it's now a dream of mine to run and finish a marathon. It may be a pipe dream, but it's a dream. Also, let me explain a little more....running is something that I see as a challenge. In my life I've never had a huge challenge to conquer. I've never had issues with schoolwork, riding horses, etc. Now, that's not to say that completing the tasks doesn't take time, energy, and patience....they all have. And I'm not trying to sound conceited or say that I'm the best at everything by any means. Running is something that I see as a bigger obstacle. I do believe I can attain my goal, but in the same token it's something that will take take an immeasurable amount of time, knowing that it's not something that comes as second nature.

Okay, so back to the marathon, in all honesty I don't expect it to be anytime soon and I do expect setbacks in the process. In reading on Hal's site it does say that ideally you should be running a year before training for a marathon. In the same sentence it also says that people do vary greatly in ability and it is possible to do this with less of a training base. In addition, in speaking with Erika she has given me the confidence to know that this is a possible goal, whether it be in 6 months, a year, or 2 years. As for the training schedule, we'll have Monday and Fridays off. We'll run Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Then cross-train on Sunday. Saturdays are your longest run. Our first Saturday is 4.5 miles (Yikes! Say what?!) I can do it. One more thing I've learned through this site....you can walk! Yes, you don't have to run the entire amount. Of course run as much as you can, but you can walk. And they want you to run easy. You should be able to talk when you're running. Things are starting to make sense to me now.

Drunken kitties? Ha! I think David's thinking "drunken wife...." Ah, he's always along for the ride. This should be fun....

No comments: