Sunday, July 22, 2007

Gorgeous Weekend

Sunday night. Time to catch up with the blog. David got home at a good time on Friday. I came home to find him playing the new NCAA game for his XBox. Not a big surprise. It was his anniversary gift, but he had to patiently wait for it to come out, which was after our anniversary. In addition, he was out of town on business again so he waited until he got home to pick it up. So after he finished a mini-game we went to dinner and then to Walmart. Why is Walmart so popular of Friday nights? Of all places that'd be busy, I'd choose Walmart last. They're starting to take after New Orleans. I swear it was THE hangout down there. And don't expect to get through the checkout lines in less than a half hour. I'm not kidding. This among other things actually helped me with my anxiety. It helps you slow down and enjoy what was around you. Trust me, you had nothing else to do, and it was pointless to get worked up. Just chill and observe. Okay, so we were at Walmart getting groceries and I started to pick things up for a care package for John.

After that we stopped at Woody and Bo's. This is a newer store in one the Hoty plazas. This one being the one across from the Outback plaza. We didn't know what to expect but were actually pretty impressed by what they carried and also their prices. Not too bad. The main point was to find something Michigan for John's care package. Yes, I can hear my fellow Buckeye fans calling us sacrilegious. Give me a break. It's for a good cause. And we still got something Ohio State. Trust me, I was kind of scared to walk in and ask for something Michigan. I was waiting for God to strike down or something. But, it didn't happen. Whew!

As you know Saturdays are our long run days. This week was a 5 miler, the longest distance thus far. We woke up at a decent time and tried to do the eating before running thing. Our food of choice was plain oatmeal with a small bit of strawberry syrup. We waited an hour then took off. Neither of us had problems stomaching the oatmeal. No cramps, no nothing. Sweet. And I have hit a new running milestone. Recently I've found that I can make it to 2 miles with no problem. Say what? Yep. Kind of like the not having to think about breathing thing I had over a month ago, this is a new experience for me. But I think it's cool. As you can read we are experimenting with eating before running, etc, so my body is still adjusting and I'm learning to read my body better, and figuring out what is best, which means runs aren't always "easy", but they arestarting to be more often than not. Cool. After 5 miles I felt good but my body was kind sore for most of the day. I just wanted to keep trying to stretch out in hopes of making it feel better. Our schedule goes easy week, hard week, easy week. This upcoming week is 2 miles, 3 miles, 2.5 miles, and 3 miles. We're also planning on helping out at the local Senior 5K Fun Run out at Osborn Park this upcoming Saturday.

After finishing up I headed down to the Sandusky Yacht Club to participate as one of the judges for the Regatta Kennel Show. It's a fun thing that the members get to participate in. It was cute to see all the dogs dressed up and doing their tricks. It was also a gorgeous morning, so I couldn't complain. Spending time outside with dogs. Not bad at all.

I then came home and our July block party was underway. More and more people are coming out for our get togethers, so that makes it more fun. It's nice to actually know who your neighbors are. Next month there's another block party for an adjacent street that more than likely we'll be involved in. Just one more reason to get together and hang out, to get to know each other. Before you know it our area of involvement will expand to what we had once hoped it would be. Ideas for upcoming events were talked about including something for Halloween and the football season....I'm excited....this should be fun.

Later that evening both sets of 'rents came over for a fire. We were getting worried that our chiminea wasn't getting any usage this summer, but no need to worry, we're just warming up. Tara, Joe, and Kara even joined the party for a bit. A nice evening around the fire, and we had perfect weather for it. It will even be more enjoyable once it's a little cooler and you can bundle up with a blanket. But not too soon.

Sunday was a lazy day. Nothing much happened but every so often that's a good thing. Tomorrow starts the work week. Why do weekends go so fast?

3 comments:

erika said...

Congrats on the 5 miler! I'm glad the oatmeal worked well for you. Sounds like your blood sugar was plummeting after your runs. Oatmeal is good because it's raises your sugar gradually. Try not to experiment too much though. Once you find a food that works...use it before all your long runs.

Stretching is more important after a run than before. I didn't follow my own advice on Saturday and I've been walking with a slight limp ever since.

Good luck with the training. I'm going to be in Sandusky next Monday and Tuesday so maybe we can meet up for an early morning run...

Anonymous said...

We haven't used our firepit yet this year. We generally start using it late in the summer and in the early fall when it gets cool at night. It doesn't make much sense to sit around a fire when it is 85 degrees out. We were planning on using it this weekend but by the time we got home from the DSO concert, we were both tired and didn't feel like setting it up.
I did 4 miles yesterday and actually got Cassie to join me for the first bit.

Anonymous said...

Bug,
Thanks for an enjoyable time. Alpa and I love being with you and your, "rent's." I enjoy laughing at your comical daddy!
Kudo's to you for getting The Boy involved in something athletic; especially cardiovascular.

Justin (comma) I think we bonded Mr. Man! You make me laugh just like your crazy daddy!
Hope to see you and Cassie some time this summer.

Love & peace to you, along with God's many blessings.

xxxooo,

Sita