Thursday, July 05, 2007

Overture Of 1812

I kind of had one of those depressing, "God, I'm really an adult now" moments last night. Yesterday was just a bum day. As stated in my previous post the 4th of July just isn't that same as it used to be. The weird thing is that I believe my patriotism as a person is at one of the highest levels it's ever been...of course it was probably higher when David was in the Marine Corps. Anyway, we did the normal go downtown thing but that was done in about 5 minutes for us and then it was like "what do we do now?" Having everyone out of town it's not like we could have a cook out. Now mind you, we could, but that wouldn't be very fun for just two people.

And then the evening came and we debated whether to go to the fireworks. We went last year and it was kind of ho-hum to us. Nothing grandiose. After seeing shows like Red, White, and Boom in Columbus or the Battle Of The Barges in New Orleans, it's hard to follow. And we're not the type of people to fight our way through big crowds, so last year we went to the end of our street to lay low, and the view wasn't that great. Considering that experience and knowing that we had to get up bright and early today we decided to opt out of fireworks and figured we'd catch them on tv. I thought, "at least we'll be able to catch the Overture of 1812." I had a buzzkill. The New York Macy's Fireworks started. I thought they were great and this year they had a twist on them being that it was all music from America, but not all American music. No Overture of 1812. "What?! Crap. Quick, change it to channel 12 and we'll watch the Washington DC fireworks. Man, they're already done." I was bummed.

Then David had the idea that maybe if we look out our window we could see them. Not so. If trees weren't present then maybe, but we could hear them if that counted for anything. We were about to head to bed when I noticed the Washington DC Capitol Building show was replaying and noticed it was already nearing the end (having seen bits and pieces previously in the night). So I figured, "They have to have the Overture....they ALWAYS do it." So I kept watching while David was about to fall asleep. And I said, "Just turn it off. We have to get up early tomorrow." David, being the wonderful husband he is said, "No, we'll watch it." And quickly sat up and seemed interested (of course he was just doing this to make me feel better). After a few more minutes Tony Danza comes on and says, "The National Symphony Orchestra will now play the Overture of 1812...." And there it went, cannons and all. Hot damn. I about rose out of bed. I was so excited. Am I an idiot or what but it made my 4th of July. Now that's what it's all about. Note to self: watch the Capitol Building fireworks next year.

I still feel old though. The 4th of July will never be the same as it used to be....heck, "summer vacation" will never be the same. I can't believe it's already July. Wasn't it just yesterday that we were celebrating Memorial Day in May?

No comments: