Friday, July 27, 2007

Unexpected Day Off

Today was my late day to go into work. Fridays are also rest days in the training schedule. Those two things combined mean that I get to "sleep in" and get things done around the house. I set my alarm for 7:30am. I set my alarm this early because for some reason my body wants to sleep past my alarm time. This is something new for me, because I'm one of those people that hops up immediately when my alarm goes off. Fridays I set it as a warning alarm. It wakes me and then I lightly sleep for another 1/2 to 1 hour. Well, today my body must have really needed sleep because I slept until 9am. Yes, this is late for me, and it felt good. Bubba cuddled up with me, with the fan blowing cool air on my face. Ahh, heaven.

After awaking, I cleaned the bathrooms and started to get ready for work. As I was about to head out the door to get to the post office before going to work, I got a call from work saying, "we don't have anything going on until 4, so you don't need to come in until later." Sweet. Fine with me. Off to my final exam I go. I got that finished, which means I'm done with my summer semester. Yay!

I then made something small for lunch and the phone rang. Again, it was work, "come to think of it we really don't need you today at all....pretty easy appointments and nothing much going on." I'll take it. An early birthday present for me. And considering how the dates/next paycheck fall I'll have a butt load of overtime, I'm not worried about missing a few hours.

I finally headed to the post office and got John's packages mailed out. And for the first time ever I had a good experience at the post office. Not that I've ever had a bad experience, but it's not fun either. You know...you stand there, holding all your items, as the line moves so slowly. Well, there I am, standing in the line and I hear someone holler down to me and say, "Are your boxes heavy? Would you live to switch me places in line?" I look over to see an older woman. She was willing not to let me in front of her but to totally switch places in line. I politely said that I was fine and thanked her for offering. She then replied, "well, I know how it is when you're standing with a heavy box and no one offers you any help." Awwww, it just touched my heart. I felt like I was in that commercial where someone does something kind for someone else and a person walking down the street notices it and passes it on...basically the concept of paying it forward. Then when I got to the desk I explained that this was my first time sending a package to Iraq and I wasn't sure if I had everything correct. The clerk, who's been there for years, says, "Oh, you've done more than enough. Don't worry, that's what I'm here for, it's my job." with a smile on his face. He then asked where I had gotten the supplies and I explained. I guess he had never heard of the care kit package and thought it was something through the USO and said, "yeah, if you need anything we can give it to you, just let us know." With the lady and the clerk it was one moment of kindness after another. Something so simple, but means more than they know.

I then got home and finished the lawn. I edged and weed whacked yesterday then mowed today. I figured since I had the day off I'd get it all done so David didn't have to do anything upon arriving home. Not to mention it gets me outside, enjoying the sunshine, and getting a workout. I don't mind doing the lawn, it's just trying to find the time. Luckily enough it's been a dry summer so we basically haven't had to cut the grass. I guess that's not lucky or good, but last year I swear I was cutting the grass sometimes twice a week. A happy medium would be good.

Tomorrow we're planning on helping out with the Serving Our Seniors 5k Fun Run. It should be fun. I hope the weather holds off and my leg doesn't give me any problems. Once again my right leg is giving me issues. Over a month ago I had a hamstring issue. Then Wednesday my front/inner thigh started up. I should've taken Thursday off, but being stupid I didn't. Thank God for the rest day today. Knock on wood, but it's always my right leg. My only guess is that it has more problems since it's the leg I broke in 6th grade. I have a limited range of motion versus my left leg, and weather definitely affects it. We shall see.

Other than that we don't have anything set in stone for the weekend. Being that it's mom and my birthday this next Tuesday maybe we'll do something fun. Heck, we're always doing fun stuff, what am I talking about? =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, what fun things can we do. We need to "celebrate"!!

Jen said...

Congrats on a completed semester!!! Good luck today with the 5K. There is only suppose to be a 30% chance in the morning. Have fun!