Sunday, November 04, 2007

Reading

As my schooldays come closer to ending (hopefully! I'm guessing only 2 more semesters) I'm having more and more people ask me what I'll be doing with my time when I don't have to worry about school work. I've always said, "I'll find something!" And as you all know, that's not hard for me to do. As this weekend progresses I've been at a loss for things to do. Actually, I can't say I've been at a loss considering yesterday I spent the day with Sita, then got tons of stuff done today. But as I sat here during the afternoon and the evening I've just been straight up bored. And it's not boredom from David not being here. Mind you, it is easier to keep things cleaner when it's only me around, but not having school assignments or tests for me to do while I'm home leaves me with the feeling like there's gotta be something for me to do, but what? Almost all that's left for school are my final checklists, which consist of tasks that must be performed at work, and final exams. So in place of doing schoolwork, I've transferred pictures on the computer to CD, checked everyone's blogs, readied my quotable for tomorrow's post, checked my school site for updates and grades, and listened to music. However, the bottom line is you can only look at the computer/Internet for so long. The same goes for cleaning. On Friday I scrubbed the bathrooms, moved everything in our bedroom and vacuumed all the "ghost turds" aka hairballs, and got together some stuff to donate to Salvation Army. There's always room for cleaning, but I've come pretty close to not having anything to dust, scrub, or vacuum. Then I think to myself, "well, maybe I should look through my Hawaii books." But since I've already read each (3 of them) at least twice I thought I'd wait another week or so, so it's all fresh in my mind. So what is there for me to do??

This leads me back to my original subject of what I'll do with my time once I'm done with school. Read books. And not just books that are required reading such as Tortora's Principles of Anatomy and Physiology. I'm talking about books that interest me that I can read at leisure. I've never been at a place in my life where I could just read to read. In high school there was required reading. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy what I read, but it was still required and I had no choice as to if I wanted to read it or not. At the end of last semester I was able to get in 2 books during my "off time" from school. I liked it. I wanted more of it. After coming back from Florida I tried to take up Angela's Ashes but didn't have luck. I don't know if it was timing or what. For the time being it has been tabled. I plan to go back to it, but just not now.

Over the past 2 months I've kept a list of books I've been interested it. These include:
Kathrine Switzer's "Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports", Jacqueline Sheehan's "Lost & Found", and
Matt Roloff's "Against Tall Odds: Being a David in a Goliath World."

I've mainly been looking for the Switzer and Roloff books at every bookstore with no luck. And then our Waldenbooks closed in preparation for our Borders opening (November 8th!) so I couldn't order it in. So with the time on my hands tonight I was looking at Amazon.com and realized they had the Switzer and Sheehan books available for super cheap. I swiped them up. For less then $16 (including shipping) I got 2 books and I'm pumped to read them! I shouldn't have spent the money, but it was a deal, and I'll be able to use atleast one of them on our long plane trips to Hawaii. As David says, "if you're going to spend the money, why wait?"

No comments: