Sunday, December 23, 2007

The She Did Award

My Aunt Cindy was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) in early 2006. She's an amazing woman with the best heart and such drive and determination. She never let this disease stop her. Even throughout chemo, a bone marrow transplant, and post-bone marrow transplant struggles, her smile shined through. It wasn't until September of this year that her counts are staying within normal range. As to be expected she will be under close watch with her doctors but She Believed She Could, So She Did.

Today my mom presented my Aunt Cindy with a keepsake..something that she's been holding on to until the right moment. Awhile back we were in Hallmark and it caught my eye. I showed it to my mom and she agreed that it'd be perfect for my Aunt Cindy.


So simple, yet so true. This whole concept has taken a new meaning for me within the past year. From this little quote I've come up with an idea. It's called the "She Did Award". We have such amazing women in our family that do stupendous things, that I feel should be recognized for what they do. So I call on my family members, both immediate and extended, to take my idea and run with it. Recognize the women in your life, whether they are family or friends, when they accomplish something spectacular. Having thought of this idea, I will "award" those that have initiated my thought process in making the She Did Award....

Aunt Cindy-She Believed She Could Beat AML, So She Did.

Libby-Aunt Cindy's Sister-She Believed She Could Help Her Sister By Donating Her Bone Marrow, So She Did.

Erika-She Believed She Could Run A Marathon, So She Did.

Aunt Therese-She Believed She Could Earn Her PhD, So She Did.

Goals are hardly ever easy to attain. While going through trials and turbulations you often want to quit. However, these women have shown that when you face those, along with your fears, inconveniences, and doubts, there is a great reward in the end.

As stated above, this idea has been evolving over the past year. I had thought of presenting it at the family gathering today but chickened out, as I didn't feel it was the right time. I do hope that this is an idea that can continue on whether they are "presented" at family gatherings, a letter or email, or even a simple acknowledgement when you see the person.

1 comment:

kyleroth said...

Heidi, that is a great idea. That was a great gift for my mom. And Kade and Liv love the Buckeye book that your mom got for them. Have a Merry Christmas!