Wednesday, December 26, 2007

New Go Fasters


New Kicks
Originally uploaded by heidihvt.

I got my first actual pair of running shoes for Christmas, from Mom and Dad. Now, you're probably thinking, "But you've been running for 8 months and have been wearing shoes. Aren't they running shoes?" Well, yes but technically no. The shoes which I started running in were trail/running shoes. When I got the running "bug" I needed shoes. Not really knowing what to do, mom and I went out and grabbed a pair that I thought would work. Little did I know what we were buying. But they worked and I was out running...that's all that I cared about.

When we went to Florida in September I saw these Asics and fell in love with them. Of course ya'll know me though, and I walked away from them. When we arrived back in Sandusky we happened to pass them at MC Sports here in town and my mom had me try them on. They felt perfect so mom got them but held onto them until Christmas. I know choosing running shoes shouldn't be about what they look like, but at least I'm moving in the right direction...next up, actually being fit for shoes. We definitely need to take a trip up to see Erika, KD, and the kids, and stop by Second Sole.

I can't believe the difference in them compared to my old shoes. So light and bouncy. I couldn't help but go, "Boing! Boing! Boing!" as I started to run tonight. In addition to feeling light and bouncy I had a personal best since I've had the Garmin. My median average pace is around 10:30-10:40/mile. (Yes, I know I'm slow). On a good day I get down to around 10:10/mile or slightly less. Well, today I hit 9:38/mile. Hot dang! (happy dance). My previous best was 9:47/mile at a shorter distance. I'm digging these recent "advances" that I've made in running. For the first time my speed is starting to pick up. I know it probably helps listening to music and having new shoes, but I can't help but hope that it's also my body finally coming together and accepting me running.

In other running news, on the recommendation of Erika, I ordered David's Pro-tec Patellar Tendon Straps, which should help stabilize both of his knees. We were upgraded to 2 day shipping so they should be here before we know it. Awesome. Gotta get geared up for our Half Marathon training! By the way, David agreed to running the Cleveland Half too. When I told him I was participating his response was, "What about me?!" Of course I'm up for him doing it and am glad that he wants to participate. We have yet to actually register as I need to contact my school. You see, my classes start May 12th and it's the semester I have go down to Texas for a week. Considering the run is on the 18th I should be safe because I would think that they wouldn't send me down there the 1st week of classes. You never know though. I hope to contact the school first thing after the winter break (Jan. 2nd) and see what they have to say. I'm sure they can't give me a definite answer given that it's a semester away, but I'm sure we can look at past year's schedules and see when it was done. Cross your fingers!

No comments: