Saturday, June 23, 2007

Injured Bubba

Poor Bubba. We were playing ball outside this morning after getting back from a bike ride. He was doing his usual thing when I looked down to get the ball and saw that his right front dewclaw was red. Upon closer examination I saw that it must have caught on something and broken near the quick.

I took him inside to have David give me a hand so I could take a closer look to see what we needed to do. I guess I was a bad mommy and let his nails get too long. I'm pretty religious about cutting them but of course the one time that I let them go 1 week too long this would happen. Vike was a trooper throughout the whole thing. He let me look at it and trimmed the excess nail off. If I did what I probably really needed to do, which would be cut the nail off where the crack was, then we'd have to sedate him. At this point though the nail is still pretty attached and not loose so I don't think that's the route we need to take. So we got some triple antibiotic cream on it, a little gauze, and some vetwrap and now he's unsure of what to do. Kinda doing the whole pouting thing. But David says, "Ah, let him pout and get all the attention he wants." So he's getting the attention and soaking it all up. I even went into my puppy pharmacy that I have in our medicine cabinet and found him some pain medication. So he's all hooked up and hopefully good to go. I'm not sure if he's glad to have a mommy that's a vet tech or not. If it would've been up to him he would've kept playing but oh well.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Poor bubba. I think he is lucky to have a momma that knows what to do in situations like this.

Anonymous said...

Ah, my poor little Viking. It makes me cry to see him so pitiful. At least he knows his Momma loves him. Kiss it and make it better for me.