Monday, June 04, 2007

Ankle Pain

Time to update you on what happened this weekend. On Friday the guys, which included David, his dad, my dad, and Joey, went to the Indians vs Tigers game up in Cleveland. I guess it was an awesome game and the best David's ever seen in person. So that was cool for them. My mom, Sita, and I went out to eat and Chili's, went to the mall to bum around, and then went to Kalahari for some caramel apples (yum!). I then went home and crashed. David was to call me when they were heading home. I never received a call because he was worried he'd wake me and I didn't budge when he arrived home. I didn't even hear Viking woof when he heard David walk upstairs. It wasn't until I rolled over at 3am that I saw he was home. Yep, I was exhausted.

Saturday we were planning on sleeping in, but do you think we could? Nah. We awoke to find that David's blister had swollen even more and that he was feeling quite numb/tingly in his arm. So off to the emergency room we went. I hate going to the emergency room for non-emergency stuff but considering it's a workman's comp thing and our urgent care center isn't up fully running as it should we just headed to the hospital. Of course they said the best thing would be to keep the bubble there but they can understand his reasoning due to the numbness. And considering the circumstances said the next best thing would be to release the pressure and debride the skin back. So that's what they did. Hehehe, I had fun watching that thing release the pus. Why do I like to watch stuff like that? Dunno. Anyway, it was kind of painful after they debrided the tissue back and allowed air to get to it. After bandaging him back up and saying the rest of the burn looked better, we headed home for David to get some vicodin into him. Oh boy, he was out for the rest of the day.

That afternoon mom, dad, and I did some painting on the garage and then all the sudden it was a race against time as the wind shifted and the weather started to get threatening. We got another side done of painting but were forced to stop due to downpour. It was perfect timing though. The wind picked up, we got everything in the garage, and then it started pouring. Mom and I headed to Kohl's for awhile to check out running shoes and the 4th of July stuff. Then we came home and had both sets of 'rents over to watch the Indians and Cavs games.

Sunday morning we had to get up early due to me having kennel duty for work. After that we did some bumming around, then I did school work, took a nap, then more school work, and just had a lazy day due to the rain. Hopefully we'll get to Cedar Point sometime this week, but we'll have to see due to the rain forecast.

After 3 days rest I ran this morning. I expected it to be raining so I wore my old running shoes, not my new ones. Even after several days rest my ankles are killing me with every step. And then after I get done they just ache even while sitting. Not sure what's going on. It's the outside of both ankles right behind the bone that protrudes out. I even got up 20 minutes early this morning to make sure I stretched enough. I can only hope that it's the shoes and with the new ones it will get better. I think that's wishful thinking though. Then I worry that it's maybe my crocs. And that I'm not getting enough support the rest of the time due to wearing those. Maybe it's just how I run. Maybe it's the strain I'm putting on my ankles. Dunno. Any help would be appreciated for people that know about this stuff. Is there a stretch that I can do that can loosen the tension or something? As stated in a previous post I feel like such a novice when it comes to this stuff. Even when I was looking at shoes I was thinking, "what exactly do I need?" Okay, that one says they're for running. Let's start there...." But then they have all these different designs or options. I'm figuring that's more of a marketing type tool but I don't know. How do you decide what's best for you? I guess that's why they have those stores where they specifically fit you for your shoes. But where would I find that around here? Whatever, I got some new shoes, let's start there and we'll just have to see.

Hope everyone has a Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bug,
When I used to speed walk, my ankle's used to ache as well/ although most times it would be shin pain. Anyway, I guess it just took time to gain ankle strenth. Even when I was at my desk, I'd stretch my ankles by going up on my toes, then putting the heels of my feet back down to the floor. You can also try this excercise by standing on a stair step. Place the ball/part of your feet at the very end of the stair, then stand up onto your tip-toes 8 times/3 sets. This will stengthen both your ankles and your calf muscles. Don't forget to massage your ankles as well. Don't I sound like a know it all! I don't mean to, but it really does help.
I admire your energy!
Love you,
Sita