Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Running In The Rain

Today I had my first experience with running in the rain. Boy, was it fun. And I'm not being sarcastic. To begin, it was a misty rain and by the end decent sized big drops that were coming steady. The temperature was in the low 60's. It's been progressively getting warmer and warmer everyday, so it was a nice break in the weather that I've been having every morning. Of course every once in awhile I had a hard time seeing as I was trying to keep from the rain going into my eyes or the drops of water coming down my forehead into my eyes, but whatever. I felt like a kid playing out in the rain. What a release of stress.

Something else I noticed is that I'm not focusing so much on breathing anymore. When I first started running I didn't know how to breath properly and after a week or so I started to get into a rhythm and thought about it as I ran. As time goes on I find myself thinking about it less and less. Then today it was as though I was on the flip side. I hadn't thought about it at all and then finally realized, I don't need to anymore. My body compensates when needed as though it's second nature.

Last week I was very energized on the first day, and then my energy continued to diminish as the week continued. Today I feel just as energized if not more than I was yesterday. Of course I could be real tired tomorrow but the way I look at is I'm one more day energized than I was last week. Moving in the right direct. In addition, the past 2 days I've woken up by myself at 5:00am before my alarm goes off (5:15am). Of course I still set my alarm to be on the safe side but I can tell my internal clock is starting to reset itself.

I've been running for over a month now and I am amazed at the progress I've made. I feel confident in saying that I'm actually running. As with everything there's room for improvement, but I'm actually doing it and I didn't let it defeat me. How sweet is that? Pretty darn awesome. Since I've met my goal of being able to actually run I feel it's time for a new goal. My goal is to do a 5K by the end of summer or early fall. Hey, don't know if it's possible, but you always gotta have a goal, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Can do it!!

Anonymous said...

Oooh-Rah!
You'll have to explain the breathing thing to me. Did you have to begin by fast walking or did you just begin by running? I'd like to learn.
You're my bug!
Love you always,
Sita

John said...

Running in the rain really is one of the better feelings. You are absolutely right about the breathing too, when you get comfortable you don't have to think much about it. Good luck with the 5K, it is definetly do-able if you put your mind to it!