Thursday, June 07, 2007

Time After Time

You always hear people, including myself, saying, "time flies". And we all know this. It just amazes me. Even a day in itself. I woke up this morning around 5am and when I was driving home, going through the thoughts in my head of what's all happened throughout the day, it seems as though this morning was several days ago. Weird. But then on the flip side I often have the feeling as though "well, that was just yesterday" when it was actually a few years back. Have I totally confused you yet? For some reason I've had a few things happen today that have put time in perspective for me once again.

To begin, I was re-packing surgical packs at work. Since they must be sterilized through the autoclave, we have to re-pack any that aren't used for so many months. Everything is labeled as to what the pack consists of, the date, and the initials of the person packing them. It was crazy to see some from just over a year ago. In addition, there were some with the initials of a co-worker that no longer works with us. I kind of had one of those sentimental moments like they have in Survivor at the end of the season where they collect former player's torches and have fond thoughts of the person. Anyway, I know I'm crazy, whatever. And then there were packs that I had labeled from back in December. It was one of those things that I see December as being just yesterday. I can't believe it's June.

Next, tomorrow is Viking's 5th Birthday. My little boy is getting so old. I know he's not human, but he's my baby and it saddens me to see him get older and see him getting white hair on his face. I don't even want to think of him getting older. I know it's a far cry from seeing your own personal child grow up but gosh, it sometimes hurts. I just have to remind myself to cherish every moment that I have with him and I know that I will have MANY more. Tomorrow we'll have a little party and have cake for the pups. I must say it's pretty sad that our dogs know that whenever they hear "happy birthday to you..." they know that a yummy treat follows. Ah, they're not spoiled, just loved.

Finally, as with most holidays David and I like to decorate. So tonight we added a few more red, white, and blue decorations outside. We get done for the night and come inside and David says, "It's hard to believe but in only 2-3 months we'll be getting ready for Halloween." Ahhhhh. Stop. Time, just stop for a moment.

Most of you know that I'm in a hurry at all times always working towards the next thing and not enjoying what's happening in the present. I know it's sad. I miss some fun stuff. So with my Positive Thoughts and Self Awareness this is something that I've been working on too. I'm getting there but I also am not going to set myself up for failure. This will be something that I'm constantly working on as with all other aspects of my life, but once again, you got to have a goal.


Look well to this day. Yesterday is but a dream and tomorrow is only a vision. But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this day.
~Francis Gray

2 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Viking!!!!

Time does fly...
It seems like weeks since I've seen you guys. Hope all is going well!

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday. Happy, happy birthday. Happy, happy birthday...to you, to you, to you, OLE'.

Happy Birthday, Viking.
Love,
Nana and Papa